Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health Concentrations (IDLH)
CAS number: 68–12–2
NIOSH REL: 10 ppm (30 mg/m3) TWA [skin]
Current OSHA PEL: 10 ppm (30 mg/m3) TWA [skin]
1989 OSHA PEL: Same as current PEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 10 ppm (30 mg/m3) TWA [skin]
Description of Substance: Colorless to pale-yellow liquid with a faint, amine-like odor.
LEL(@212 F): 2.2% (10% LEL(@212 F), 2,200 ppm)
Original (SCP) IDLH: 3,500 ppm
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: The chosen IDLH is based on the statements by Clayton et al.  that rats survived a 4-hour exposure to air saturated with dimethylformamide vapor [Smyth and Carpenter 1948] and inhalation of saturated vapors for 6 hours was lethal [Haskell Laboratory]. A.D. Little reports that the saturated concentration at 20 C is 3,550 ppm. Because exposures to rats for 4 hours were at saturated concentrations, 3,500 ppm is chosen as the IDLH.
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA
Lethal concentration data:
|Adjusted 0.5-hr |
|6 hr |
|11,500 ppm (2.3) |
4,947 ppm (1.6)
|1,150 ppm |
Lethal dose data:
|Druckrey et al. 1967 |
|6,447 ppm |
|645 ppm |
Human data: None relevant for use in determining the revised IDLH.
|Revised IDLH: 500 ppm |
Basis for revised IDLH: The revised IDLH for dimethylformamide is 500 ppm based on acute inhalation toxicity data in animals [Stasenkov 1961].
1. A.D. Little [?]. A.D. Little, Inc. Information supplied to NIOSH during Standards Completion Project.
2. Clayton JW Jr, Barnes JR, Hood DB, Schepers GWH . The inhalation toxicity of dimethylformamide (DMF). Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 24:144-154.
3. Druckrey H, Preussmann R, Ivankovic S, Schmahl D . Organotrope carcinogene wirkungen bei 65 vershiedenen N-nitroso-verbindungen and BD-ratten. Zeitschrift für Krebsforschung 69:103-201 (in German).
4. Haskell Laboratory [?]. Unpublished report. [From Clayton JW Jr, Barnes JR, Hood DB, Schepers GWH . The inhalation toxicity of dimethylformamide (DMF). Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 24:144-154.]
5. Lobanova KP . Concerning the toxicity of dimethylformamide. Gig Tr Prof Zabol 23(5):31-37 (in Russian).
6. Massmann W . Toxicological investigations on dimethylformamide. Br J Ind Med 13:51-54.
7. Smyth HF Jr, Carpenter CP . Further experience with the range-finding test in the industrial toxicology laboratory. J Ind Hyg Toxicol 30(1):63-68.
8. Stasenkova KP . Toxicity of dimethylformamide. Toksikol Nov Prom Khim Vesh 1:54-69 (in Russian).
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO