Documentation for Immediately Dangerous To Life or Health Concentrations (IDLHs)
CAS number: 626-38-0
NIOSH REL: 125 ppm (650 mg/m3) TWA
Current OSHA PEL: 125 ppm (650 mg/m3) TWA
1989 OSHA PEL: Same as current PEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 125 ppm (665 mg/m3) TWA
Description of substance: Colorless liquid with a mild odor.
LEL: 1% (10% LEL, 1,000 ppm)
Original (SCP) IDLH: 9,000 ppm
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: The chosen IDLH is based on the statement by ACGIH  that 9,200 ppm was lethal to guinea pigs in 7 hours [Patty et al. 1936]. This is the only data on acute inhalation toxicity available on which to base the IDLH.
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATALethal concentration data:
|G. pig||Patty et al. 1936||-----||9,200||7 hr||22,080 ppm (2.4)||2,208 ppm|
|G. pig||von Oettingen 1960||-----||10,000||5 hr||21,500 ppm (2.15)||2,150 ppm|
Human data: It has been stated that exposure to 1,000 ppm for an hour may be expected to produce serious toxic effects [von Oettingen 1960].
Revised IDLH: 1,000 ppm
Basis for revised IDLH: The revised IDLH for sec-amyl acetate is 1,000 ppm based on acute inhalation toxicity data in humans [von Oettingen 1960] and the similarity of the toxic effects of sec-amyl acetate to those of n-amyl acetate (which also has a revised IDLH of 1,000 ppm).
- ACGIH . sec-Amyl acetate. In: Documentation of the threshold limit values for substances in workroom air. 3rd ed. Cincinnati, OH: American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, p. 13.
- Patty FA, Yant WP, Schrenk HH . Acute response of guinea pigs to vapors of some new commercial organic compounds. XI. Secondary amyl acetate. Public Health Rep 51(25):811-819.
- von Oettingen WF . The aliphatic acids and their esters: toxicity and potential dangers. AMA Arch Ind Health 21:40/28-77/65.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO