Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health Concentrations (IDLH)
CAS number: 3333–52–6
NIOSH REL: 3 mg/m3 (0.5 ppm) TWA [skin]
Current OSHA PEL: 3 mg/m3 (0.5 ppm) TWA [skin]
1989 OSHA PEL: Same as current PEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 2.8 mg/m3 (0.5 ppm) TWA [skin]
Description of substance: Colorless, odorless solid.
LEL: . Unknown
Original (SCP) IDLH: 5 ppm
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: The chosen IDLH is based on the statement by ACGIH  that 6 ppm for 30 hours was lethal to rats [Spolyar 1948]. A concentration of 22 ppm is obviously too high to be chosen as the IDLH, because no mice survived a 3.5-hour exposure at this concentration [Hecht and Kimmerle 1956-1957 as quoted by Reinl 1957].
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA:
Lethal concentration data:
|Mouse||Hecht &Kimmerle 1956/1957||-----||28||3 hr||50 ppm (1.8)||5.0 ppm|
|Mouse||Hecht &Kimmerle 1956/1957||LC100: 22||-----||3.5 hr||42 ppm (1.9)||4.2 ppm|
|Rat||Spolyar 1948||-----||6||30 hr||24 ppm (3.91)||2.4 ppm|
Lethal dose data:
|Adjusted LD||Derived value|
|Rat||Johannsen &ivinskas 1986||oral||38.9||-----||48 ppm||4.8 ppm|
Human data: None relevant for use in determining the revised
|Revised IDLH: 5 ppm [Unchanged]
Basis for revised IDLH: Based on acute inhalation toxicity data in animals [Hecht and Kimmerle 1956-1957], the original IDLH for tetramethyl succinonitrile (5 ppm) is not being revised at this time.
1. ACGIH . Tetramethyl succinonitrile. In: Documentation of the threshold limit values for substances in workroom air. 3rd ed. Cincinnati, OH: American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, p. 254.
2. Harger RN, Hupieu HR . Toxicity of tetramethyl succinonitrile and the antidotal effects of thiosulphate, nitrile, and barbiturates. Fed Proc 8:205.
3. Hecht G, Kimmerle H [1956/1957]. Toxikologische Untersuchungen uber Tetramethyl-bernsteinsauredinitril. Unpublished investigations (in German). [From Reinl W . Intoxication in manufacturing of plastics by tetramethyl-succinic acid dinitrile. Arch Toxikol 16:367-380 (in German).]
4. Johannsen FR, Livinskas GJ . Subchronic toxicity of tetramethyl succinonitrile. Fundam Appl Toxicol 7:41-48.
5. Reinl W . Intoxication in manufacturing of plastics by tetramethyl-succinic acid dinitrile. Arch Toxikol 16:367-380 (in German).
6. Spolyar LW . Indiana chemists report toxicity of product of Porofor M. Ind Hyg Newsletter 8(10)3.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO