Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health Concentrations (IDLH)
CAS number: 100–37–8
NIOSH REL: 10 ppm (50 mg/m3) TWA [skin]
Current OSHA PEL: 10 ppm (50 mg/m3) TWA [skin]
1989 OSHA PEL: Same as current PEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 10 ppm (48 mg/m3) TWA [skin]
Description of Substance: Colorless liquid with a nauseating, ammonia-like odor.
LEL:. . Unknown
Original (SCP) IDLH: 500 ppm
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: No useful data on acute inhalation toxicity are available on which to base the IDLH for diethylaminoethanol. The chosen IDLH is based on the following statements by Cornish : "exposure of rats to 500 ppm, 6 hours daily for 5 days, resulted in severe weight loss and high mortality. Daily exposure at 200 ppm resulted in the death of 7 of 50 rats during the first month. A single human exposure for a few seconds to a level well below 200 ppm resulted in nausea and vomiting."
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA
Lethal concentration data:
|Adjusted 0.5-hr |
|Lomonova 1970 |
|4 hr |
|1,848 ppm (2.0) |
|185 ppm |
Lethal dose data:
|Rat||Smyth and Carpenter 1944||oral||1,300||-----||1,869 ppm||187 ppm|
Human data: A very short exposure (<30 seconds) to a concentration estimated to be less than 100 ppm has resulted in nausea and vomiting within 5 minutes; other persons in the same room also complained of the nauseating odor but did not become ill [Cornish 1965].
|Revised IDLH: 100 ppm |
Basis for revised IDLH: The revised IDLH for 2-diethylaminoethanol is 100 ppm based on acute inhalation toxicity data in humans [Cornish 1965].
1. Cornish HH . Oral and inhalation toxicity of 2-diethylaminoethanol. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 26:479-484.
2. Lomonova GV . Toxicology data on dimethylethanolamine and diethylethanolamine. Gig Tr Prof Zabol 14(11):52-53 (translated).
3. Smyth HF Jr, Carpenter CP . The place of the range-finding test in the industrial toxicology laboratory. J Ind Hyg Toxicol 26:269-273.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO