The second National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, NHANES II, is a nationwide probability sample of 27,801 persons from 6 months-74 years of age. From this sample, 25,286 people were interviewed and 20,322 people were examined, resulting in an overall response rate of 73 percent. Because children and persons classified as living at or below the poverty level were assumed to be at special risk of having nutritional problems, they were sampled at rates substantially higher than their proportions in the general population. Adjusted sampling weights were computed within 76 age-sex income groups in order to inflate the sample to closely reflect the target population at the midpoint of the survey.
Data from NHANES II are organized by subject matter. The data files comprising the NHANES II include a number of demographic and socioeconomic variables on each tape including age, gender, race, ethnicity, income, education, and marital status.
Data files: Clicking on the hyperlinks below will download self-extracting zip files from our FTP site. The zip files include the items listed after each hyperlink.
Documentation/ Codebook files: All files are in PDF format and require the Adobe Acrobat Reader (tm) to view and download.)
Questionnaires and Procedure Manuals: Are also available in PDF format and are in the Appendices of the Plan & Operations Report.
- README - SAS Input Conventions [PDF - 18 KB]
- Allergy Skin Testing, 5309
- Anthropometry, 5301
- Audiometric Air Conduction Test Ages 4-19 years, 5306
- Behavior Questionnaire Ages 25-74, 5317
- Chest X-Ray Examination, 5252
- Growth Charts (November, 2012)
- Health History Supplement Ages 12-74 years, 5305
- Hematology and Biochemistry, Ages 6 months-74 years, 5411
- Hepatitis A and B
- Herpes I and II
- Medical History Questionnaire, Ages 6 months-11 years, 5010
- Medical History Questionnaire, Ages 12-74 years, 5020
- Model Gram, 5702
- Nutrient Composition, 5703
- Physician's Examination, 5302
- Syphilis Serological Markers
- Total Nutrient Intake, Food Frequency, and Other Related Dietary Data, 5701
- 24-Hour Recall, Specific Food Item, 5704