2009-2010 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES)
The Questionnaires can be viewed using Adobe Acrobat reader.
Questionnaires are administered to NHANES participants both at home and in the MECs. The questionnaires and a brief description of each section follows.
- Screener Module 1 [PDF - 189 KB]. This is administered on the doorstep. This set of questions determines if anyone in the household is eligible to be in the sample.
Screener Module 1 (Spanish) [PDF - 122 KB] This is the same module in Spanish.
- Screener Module 2 [PDF - 204 KB]. This establishes the relationship of everyone in the household to everyone else in the household.
Screener Module 2 (Spanish) [PDF - 136 KB] This is the same module in Spanish.
Household and family level information is collected here. The sections are labeled to reflect content.
- Family Questionnaire Hand Cards [PDF - 59 KB]
- Demographic Background/Occupation [PDF - 156 KB]
- Housing Characteristics [PDF - 43 KB]
- Smoking [PDF - 29 KB]
- Consumer Behavior [PDF - 85 KB]
- Income [PDF - 273 KB]
- Food Security [PDF - 92 KB]
- Tracking and Tracing [PDF - 51 KB]
Individual level information on participants is collected here. The sections are labeled to reflect content. Please note that the Medical Conditions section covers many subject areas.
- Sample Person Questionnaire Hand Cards [1 MB]
- Acculturation [PDF - 27 KB]
- Arthritis [PDF - 168 KB]
- Audiometry [PDF - 72 KB]
- Blood Pressure [PDF - 62 KB]
- Cardiovascular Disease [PDF - 31 KB]
- Demographic [PDF - 156 KB]
- Dermatology [PDF - 47 KB]
- Diabetes [PDF - 88 KB]
- Dietary Screener [PDF - 165 KB]
- Dietary Supplements and Prescription Medication [PDF - 361 KB]
- Dietary Behavior [PDF - 127 KB]
- Early Childhood [PDF - 45 KB]
- Health Insurance [PDF - 82 KB]
- Hospital Utilization and Access to Care [PDF - 64 KB]
- Immunization [PDF - 34 KB]
- Kidney Conditions [PDF - 26 KB]
- Medical Conditions [PDF - 210 KB]
- Occupation [PDF - 174 KB]
- Oral Health [PDF - 16 KB]
- Osteoporosis [PDF - 100 KB]
- Physical Activity and Physical Fitness [PDF - 98 KB]
- Physical Functioning [PDF - 129 KB]
- Respiratory Health and Disease [PDF - 70 KB]
- Sleep Disorders [PDF - 25 KB]
- Smoking and Tobacco Use [PDF - 92 KB]
- Weight History [PDF - 135 KB]
Audio computer assisted personal self interview (ACASI) and computer assisted personal interview (CAPI) questionnaires are administered in the MEC. During the visit to the examination center additional questions are administered that cover more sensitive areas such as reproductive health and illegal drug use. The sections are labeled to reflect content.
- Alcohol Use [PDF - 44 KB]
- Drugs Use [PDF - 149 KB]
- Food Security [PDF - 45 KB]
- Sexual Behavior [PDF - 216 KB]
- Tobacco Use [PDF - 110 KB]
- MEC CAPI Questionnaire Hand Cards [50 KB]
- Alcohol Use [PDF - 30 KB]
- Bowel Health [PDF - 57 KB]
- Current Health Status [PDF - 39 KB]
- Dietary Screener [PDF - 165 KB]
- Depression Screen [PDF - 43 KB]
- Kidney [PDF - 48 KB]
- Pesticide Use [PDF - 17 KB]
- Physical Activity [PDF - 54 KB]
- Reproductive Health [PDF - 154 KB]
- Respondent Information [PDF - 34 KB]
- Tobacco [PDF - 45 KB]
- Volatile Toxicants Use [PDF - 44 KB]
- Weight History [PDF - 64 KB]
- Flexible Consumer Behavior Survey (FCBS) Module [610 KB]
- NHANES Hepatitis C Follow-up [PDF - 366 KB]
- Dietary Recall [PDF - 112 KB]