2003-2004 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES)
Survey Operations Manuals, Brochures, Consent Documents
These manuals, brochures, and consent documents are part of the protocol for the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), conducted by the National Center for Health Statistics.
Manuals listed below were developed for interviewer and examiner training. These are important references for NHANES as all correct procedures, policies, and standards are comprehensively detailed. Manuals were first produced in January 1999. Dates on the first page of each manual reflect the most recent revision.
- Audiometry [PDF - 4.3 MB]
- Balance [PDF - 369 KB]
- Body Composition [PDF - 1.8 MB]
- Body Measurements [PDF - 803 KB]
- Cardiovascular Fitness [PDF - 7 KB]
- Dermatology [PDF - 635 KB]
- Dietary Interviewer - In Person [PDF - 8.8 MB]
- Dietary Interviewer - Phone Followup [PDF - 11.2 MB]
- Lower Extremity Disease [PDF - 2 MB]
- MEC Interviewer [PDF - 23.9 MB]
- Oral Health (Dental Recorder) [PDF - 597 KB]
- Oral Health (Dental Examiner) [PDF - 5.4 MB]
- Phone Followup Dietary Interviewer [PDF - 7.8 MB]
- Physician [PDF - 9.2 MB]
- Vision [PDF - 1.2 MB]
Brochures listed below were designed to help participants understand the NHANES survey as well as some specific testing.
- Household Interview Consent [PDF - 44 KB]
- Examination Consent [PDF - 550 KB]
- Child Assent [PDF - 407 KB]
- Specimen Storage Consent [PDF - 29 KB]