Recoding is used to create new groupings of fields not available in the data file. For instance, one may want to recode age into two groups: under 50 years of age and 50 years and older. If recoding is necessary, it must be completed before making a table.
- At the opening menu, click the + sign to the left of the data folder. Names of data files drop down. Click on a file name > Tabulate data. This command will provide you with an empty spreadsheet to build a table.
- Click Recodes > Create.
- Change the drive from the CD-ROM drive to your appropriate drive for storing data. Name the recode file and click Open.
- Click Recodes > Assist.
- Double-click on the Based on the field box and double-click on the appropriate field. Type in the name for the recode in the New recode name box.
- Double-click on the Code(s) box and select the appropriate code value(s). Click Select to bring up the Recode assistance template. When finished coding, click Accept.
- The code will appear. To accept it, click Recode > Attach.
- Click File > Close.
- Check to see that the recode appears in the field list by clicking Table > Assist, which opens the Table Assistance window. Scroll down the fields and recodes list and find the recode listed alphabetically.
- If you do not see the recode listed click Cancel, and go to Recodes > Create.
- Click Yes. Go to Recodes > Check Syntax.