2014 Postdoctoral Research Program Announcement
The National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) offers extraordinary opportunities for the Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Program in specialized research in the areas of mathematical statistics, computer science, survey methodology, health statistics, epidemiology, and the social and behavioral sciences applicable to large-scale sample surveys. Applicants must have held a Ph.D. (or equivalent) in a relevant field for less than 3 years or completed the Ph.D. before work commences as a postdoctoral researcher. The duration of the fellowship is 2 years, but can be extended with special considerations.
Applications for the 2014 Postdoctoral Research Program are now being accepted, with preference given to those who apply early. Applicants may be U.S. citizens or noncitizens with legal permanent residency. The fellowship will begin at a mutually agreeable date between April 1 and July 31, 2014. Potential applicants should visit the Postdoctoral Research Program page for detailed instructions, including the criteria used for evaluating the proposals.
Statement of Research Interest
- Applicants must submit a Statement of Research Interest describing the project to be completed during the postdoctoral appointment. The proposal should describe the purpose and context of the research project, the research approach and methods to be used, key activities to be undertaken during the fellowship period, and the expected contributions of the proposed research.
- Proposals should not exceed five pages in length.
- Applicants are encouraged to contact NCHS to obtain specific information on current research and available technical facilities and to speak with NCHS researchers working in the specific area of interest.
Salary and Benefits
- The annual starting salary for an NCHS Postdoctoral Research Fellow is $75,621–$116,901 (equivalent to GS-12/13), with adjustments depending on qualifications and experience.
- Sick leave, annual leave, Thrift Savings 401(k)-equivalent, and health and life insurance are available.
- FlexiTime or an Alternate Work Schedule is available with supervisor’s approval.
- NCHS is located in Hyattsville, Maryland. Free onsite parking or a public-transportation subsidy is available. The local subway station is within walking distance, and complimentary shuttle service to and from NCHS is available.
Initiation of Tenure
NCHS will offer a limited number of awards annually. Starting dates are negotiated individually but are expected to occur between April 1 and July 31, 2014.
Inquiries may be directed to Shirley Triano, Fellowship Coordinator at email@example.com or by phone at 301–458–4004.