Control High Blood Pressure Indicators
- Process and Implementation
- Intermediate Outcome Indicators
- Long-Term Indicators
Use of evidence-based services
Statin Therapy for the Prevention and Treatment of Cardiovascular Disease (CMS 347external icon) NQF, Million Hearts
- Percentage of the following patients- all considered at high risk of cardiovascular events- who were prescribed or were on statin therapy during the measurement period:
- Adults aged >= 21 years who were previously diagnosed with or currently have an active diagnosis of clinical atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD); OR
- Adults aged >21 years who have ever had a fasting or direct low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) level >=190 mg/dL or were previously diagnosed with or currently have an active diagnosis of familial or pure hypercholesterolemia; OR
Adults aged 40-75 years with a diagnosis of diabetes with a fasting or direct LDL-C level of 70-189 mg/dL
Monthly or quarterly
Controlling High Blood Pressure (NQF 0018pdf iconexternal icon) HEDIS, Medicaid, NQF
- The percentage of patients 18 to 85 years of age who had a diagnosis of hypertension (HTN) and whose blood pressure (BP) was adequately controlled (<140/90) during the measurement year.
- Some health care professionals diagnose patients with hypertension if their blood pressure is consistently 140/90 mm Hg or higher. This limit is based on guidelines and recommendations released in 2003 and 2014.1,2
Other health care professionals diagnose patients with hypertension if their blood pressure is consistently 130/80 mm Hg or higher. This limit is based on the American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association’s (ACC/AHA) hypertension clinical practice guidelineexternal icon that was released in 2017.3
HEDIS HEDISexternal icon Measure
Medicaid Medicaid Core Setexternal icon Measure
NQF National Quality Forum (NQF) Endorsedexternal icon Measure
MIPS MIPSexternal icon Measure
Million Hearts Million Heartsexternal icon Measure
- National High Blood Pressure Education Program. The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure pdf icon[PDF – 223 KB]external iconpdf iconexternal icon. Bethesda, MD: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; 2003.
- James PA, Oparil S, Carter BL, et al. 2014 evidence-based guideline for the management of high blood pressure in adults: report from the panel members appointed to the Eighth Joint National Committee (JNC 8)external iconexternal icon. JAMA. 2014;311:507-20.
- Whelton PK, Carey RM, Aronow WS, Casey DE, Collins KJ, Dennison C, et al. 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA Guideline for the prevention, detection, evaluation, and management of high blood pressure in adults.external iconexternal icon Hypertension. 2018;71(19):e13–115.