You can protect yourself from RBF by:
- Avoiding contact with rodents or places where rodents may be present.
- Avoiding drinking milk or water that may have come in contact with rodents.
- Drinking pasteurized milk and water from safe sources.
If you handle rats or clean their cages:
- Wear protective gloves.
- Practice regular handwashing.
- Avoid touching your mouth with your hands.
In addition to RBF, contact with rodents may result in other illnesses. For more information on rodent control, see: Prevent rodent infestations.
- Page last reviewed: June 9, 2015
- Page last updated: May 23, 2011
- Content Source: