Heat Related Illness (HRI) Prevention
Recognizing, Preventing, and Treating Heat-Related Illness
This training will teach and reinforce awareness of heat-related illness among coaches, athletic trainers, students, school nurses, parents, and teachers. It will also promote the development and implementation of guidelines by these participants.
After completing this web based course, the learner should be able to:
- Define heat-related illness
- Identify the three main types of heat-related illness
- Identify the symptoms, or warning signs, for each type of heat-related illness
- Describe treatment options for each type of heat-related illness, including return to play considerations
- Describe steps you can take to prevent heat-related illness
George Luber, PhD, Associate Director for Climate Change, CDC
Origination Date 05/15/2014
Computer hardware, internet connection, browser
Registered nurses, coaches, trainers, parents, students
Prerequisite Skills and Knowledge
The target audience needs basic computer skills to access the web-based course and navigate through the lessons.
CDC’s Climate and Health Program, (770) 488-3478