Community Involvement Resources
Action Communities for Health, Innovation, and EnVironmental changE (ACHIEVE) – CDC-funded program to build healthier communities
Brownfield and Land Reuse Initiative – resources for promoting community health in Brownfield redevelopment and land reuse from the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
Community Health Resources – link to CDC resources to help plan, implement, and evaluate community health interventions and programs to address chronic disease and health disparities issues
Culture Shift: Strengthening the Role of Environmental Health in Public Health Performance Improvement Efforts. [PDF - 551 KB] This is one in a series of monthly Environmental Health Services Branch columns in the Journal of Environmental Health.
EH Capa-City – environmental health capacity-building tools and products available through an interactive format
Environmental Public Health Performance Standards – CDC program to improve capacity to perform the essential services of environmental public health.
Environmental Public Health Tracking Network – a CDC system of integrated health, exposure, and hazard information and data from a variety of national, state, and city sources
Health Impact Assessment – a tool to evaluate objectively the potential health effects of a project or policy before it is built or implemented
Healthy Places – CDC Web site with information about designing and building healthy places
National Conversation on Public Health and Chemical Exposures - collaborative effort to develop an action agenda to help strengthen efforts to protect the public from harmful chemical exposures
Principles of Community Engagement – provides public health professionals and community leaders with a science base and practical guidelines for engaging the public in community decision-making and action for health promotion, health protection, and disease prevention
Racial and Ethnic Approaches to Community Health (REACH) – CDC program that uses community-based participatory approaches and implements and evaluates innovative approaches to improving health in communities
Working to Build Healthy Communities: Community Environmental Health Assessments Using PACE EH. [PDF - 187 KB] – using PACE EH as a tool to build healthy communities. This is one in a series of monthly Environmental Health Services Branch columns in the Journal of Environmental Health.
Community Action for a Renewed Environment (CARE) – competitive grant program administered by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that offers an innovative way for a community to organize and take action to reduce toxic pollution in its local environment
Community Action for Environmental Public Health – community resources from the Environmental Protection Agency, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
Community Health Status Indicators – overview of more than 200 key health indicators for each of the 3,141 U.S. counties
Community Toolbox – information to promote community health by connecting people, ideas, and resources
Environmental Health Primer – National Association of County and City Health Officials free e-learning resource provides an overview of environmental public health plus modules on climate change, community environmental health assessments, the Environmental Public Health Performance Standards, and working with the media.
EPA/CDC/ATSDR Federal Grants Guide for Community Environmental and Public Health Activities [PDF - 545 KB] – information on funding opportunities related to meeting environmental and public health goals
Healthy Places Leading to Healthy People: Community Engagement Improves Health for All – a Public Health Grand Rounds program focusing on CDC’s Healthy Communities goal area and highlighting the rural Florida community of Wabasso
Mobilizing for Action Through Planning and Partnerships – a community-driven strategic planning tool for improving community health
Partnerships for Environmental Public Health – an umbrella program of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences to foster local, regional, and national partnerships between and among community residents/organizations, researchers, and other stakeholders in the research process
PACE EH Resources
Protocol for Assessing Community Excellence in Environmental Health (PACE EH)
National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO) – PACE EH resources from NACCHO, including online toolkit, training, and publications
- PACE EH Demonstration Site Report – PACE EH demonstration site report summarizes the main concepts derived from the efforts of eight sites implementing the PACE EH process
- PACE EH in Practice – Results from 10 pilot sites used to finalize the PACE EH methodology
- PACE EH Toolkit – NACCHO toolkit with resources used to implement PACE EH
- Toolkit keyword search results – example of the toolkit organized by the 13 tasks of the PACE EH process
- PACE EH: Protocol for Assessing Community Excellence in Environmental Health – Guidebook outlining the 13 steps of PACE EH
PACE EH Post Project Assessment of Quality of Life Changes in a Florida Community Related to Infrastructure Improvements [PDF - 381 KB] – Article posted with permission from the Journal of Environmental Health (2008;70(10):40–6), a publication of the National Environmental Health Association, www.neha.org.
PACE EH: Tool for Community Environmental Health Assessment [PDF - 202 KB] – Fact sheet describing PACE EH
Process Evaluation of the Protocol for Assessing Community Excellence in Environmental Health (PACE EH) – Extensive process evaluation of PACE EH impacts by the Battelle Memorial Institute. To receive a copy of this evaluation please email email@example.com.
Strengthening the Capacity of Local Health Agencies Through Community-Based Assessment and Planning [PDF - 232 KB] – Article in Public Health Reports summarizing findings from the PACE EH process evaluation
PACE EH Implementation in the United States
- Community Environmental Health Assessment Resources on EH Capa-City – Tools and products from CDC environmental health capacity-building grantees
- PACE EH Program in Florida – Information about county health departments across Florida who have implemented PACE EH in communities
- Power of PACE EH – Narrated presentation on PACE EH and its impact in the West Wabasso community of Indian River County, Florida
PACE EH Implementation in International Settings
- Community Environmental Health Assessment in Peru [PDF - 260 KB] – Fact sheet describing CDC’s work in Peru
- Community Environmental Health Assessment in Peru’s Desert Hills and Rainforest [PDF - 703 KB] – Article describing a Peru Ministry of Health project to develop the ability of local communities to address environmental health problems
Spanish-language Resources for CEHA and PACE EH
- El Protocolo para Evaluar la Excelencia de la Comunidad en Salud Ambiental – Versión Español
- Hoja de Información – Evaluación de la Salud Ambiental Comunitaria en Perú [PDF - 124 KB]
- Evaluación Comunitaria de Salud Ambiental Fortalece los Servicios Públicos de Salud Ambiental en la Amazonía Peruana [PDF - 145 KB]
For information about CEHA and PACE EH activities, contact Maggie Byrne at MByrne@cdc.gov.