Get email updates
Enter your email address to receive the monthly CDC LC e-Newsletter
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC–INFO
SPOTLIGHT: Clinician Outreach Communication Activity (COCA)
Clinician Outreach Communication Activity (COCA) helps clinicians deliver optimal care to patients by providing them with the most current and reliable information on emerging health threats, pandemics, natural disasters, and terrorism. This month’s Spotlight features examples of web-based education products, and resources for clinicians related to emergency preparedness and response and emerging health threats. Learn more about COCA.
Access and view COCA call materials, and listen to recorded calls. Free continuing education is offered for most COCA calls and webinars. The following COCA calls and webinars feature CDC and COCA partner subject matter experts. Listen as they discuss public health topics of interest to clinicians. Access additional COCA Conference Calls.
2011-2016 Public Health Emergency Preparedness Capabilities: Opportunities for Clinician Engagement with State and Local Public Health Departments
- Provides an overview of the CDC Public Health Preparedness Capabilities: National Standards for State and Local Planning document
- Highlights opportunities for clinician engagement in helping public health departments assure the public’s health during emergency incidents
Planning for the Whole Community: Addressing Access and Functional Needs Before, During, and After Disasters
- Discusses how clinicians can work within their communities to integrate and coordinate emergency preparedness, response and recovery efforts for children and adults with disabilities and others with access and functional needs before, during, and after a disaster.
- Emory University CDC Preparedness and Emergency Response Research Center share findings from their study and discuss strategies to incorporate nursing homes and home health agencies into community-wide disaster planning
- Discusses the importance of disaster risk reduction for reducing adverse health effects of disasters and how application of the basic tenets of preventive medicine and public health can result in a more humane and cost-effective approach to emergency management
- For clinicians in emerging areas, clinicians in endemic regions who need a refresher course, and for health care providers in non-endemic regions who see travel-related cases
- Reviews the epidemiology of Lyme disease, early signs and symptoms of Lyme disease, appropriate use of diagnostics, recommended treatment guidelines, and prevention practices
Evaluating and Responding to Chemical Emergencies: The Role of Poison Control Centers and Public Health Labs
- Discusses biomedical testing for chemical agents, state level poison control center practices, and clinical resources for chemical emergencies
- Familiarize yourself with methadone’s unique pharmacology and dosing recommendations
- Prescribing methadone for chronic pain safely requires a review of the epidemiology of methadone overdoses in the United States and discusses guidelines for appropriate opioid prescribing
- Discuss the burden of norovirus outbreaks and review diagnostics and surveillance tools
- Share resources to promote the prevention and control of norovirus infections
- Provides valuable information on the epidemiology and clinical features of West Nile virus disease
- Reviews epidemiology, modes of transmission, clinical features, appropriate use of diagnostics, as well as treatment and prevention options for West Nile virus infections
- Discusses subspecialist and primary care pediatrician collaborations regarding influenza prevention and control strategies for improving care for high-risk children
Below are resources to learn about COCA updates for clinicians, COCA clinical reminders, COCA conference and training opportunities, COCA partners, and how to subscribe to COCA.
- Clinicians have varying information needs, so COCA provides a variety of services to meet these diverse needs, including direct email access for questions and feedback. Send your clinical questions to COCA
- COCA Updates are disseminated biweekly. More frequent distributions occur when emergency information or CDC event-specific updates need to be shared right away. COCA Updates provides subscribers with information on current health issues and emerging threats
- COCA Clinical Reminders are alerts, advisories, and updates of important clinical information and resources related to specific events.
- Delivers information on upcoming training and conference opportunities organized or sponsored by federal agencies or COCA partner organizations, including non-federal organizations
- Offers scheduled and on-demand emergency preparedness and response training resources by federal agencies and COCA partners.
- COCA partners with 182 national healthcare and public health professional organizations to ensure that clinicians have timely, credible, and accurate information
Page maintained by: Scientific Education and Professional Development Program Office
Information regarding training products and resources featured in the Spotlight was provided by
- TrainingFinder Real-time Affiliate Integrated Network (TRAIN), a free service of the Public Health Foundation
- CDC Emergency Risk Communication Branch (ERCB)