Improving HAI Tracking
The purpose of the EIP HAI NHSN Denominator Simplification Project is to help inform future NHSN changes that reduce the burden of data collection while maintaining accuracy.
Specifically, this project will:
- Evaluate the use of a simplified, time–saving method to accurately estimate central line days for use in calculating CLABSI rates
Data for this project are being gathered from more than 100 hospital units across the country.
Data are expected to be available in 2012.
Technical information about this project can be found at "Technical Information — NHSN Denominator Simplification Project" .
- Annual Reports and Findings
- A total of 119 inpatient locations in 63 healthcare facilities participated in phase 1 and submitted CLABSI denominator logs. Data analysis and manuscript preparation is underway.
- An abstract of data from ICUs that participated in Phase 1 was presented at the SHEA 2011 Annual Scientific Meeting: Evaluation of sampling denominator data to estimate central line days: Validation of methods to reduce data collection burden of the National Healthcare Safety Network http://shea.confex.com/shea/2011/webprogram/Paper5167.html
- Phase 2 - data collection on more than 100 inpatient locations is currently underway.
- Previous publications on the use of sampling to estimate central line days
- Klevens et al. ICHE 2006;27:338-42.
- Shelly et al: ICHE 2011;32:727-30.
- Page last reviewed: March 6, 2012
- Page last updated: March 6, 2012
- Content source: