Women Trying to Become Pregnant
CDC recommends precautions for women and their partners thinking about pregnancy.
- Consider avoiding nonessential travel to areas with Zika if you are thinking about having a baby in the near future.
- If you must travel, talk to your doctor or other healthcare provider first and take steps to plan for travel.
- If your partner travels to an area with Zika, protect yourself from getting Zika during sex.
What to do if you live in or travel to an area with Zika
If you aren’t pregnant, but you’re thinking about having a baby, here’s what you can do
- Take steps to prevent mosquito bites.
- Take steps to prevent getting Zika through sex.
- Talk with your doctor or healthcare provider.
Talk with your doctor or other healthcare provider
Women and their partners who are thinking about pregnancy should talk with their doctor or healthcare provider about
- Their plans for having children
- The potential risk of getting Zika during pregnancy
- Their partner’s potential exposures to Zika
Suggested timeframe to wait before trying to get pregnant
|Possible exposure via recent travel or sex without a condom with a partner infected with Zika|
|Wait at least 8 weeks after symptoms start or last possible exposure||Wait at least 6 months after symptoms start or last possible exposure|
|People living in or frequently traveling to areas with Zika|
|Positive Zika test||Wait at least 8 weeks after symptoms start||Wait at least 6 months after symptoms start|
|No testing performed or negative test||Talk with doctor or healthcare provider||Talk with doctor or healthcare provider|
Decisions about pregnancy planning are personal and complex, and the circumstances for women and their partners will vary. Women and their partners should discuss pregnancy planning with a trusted doctor or healthcare provider. As part of counseling with healthcare providers, some women and their partners living in areas with active Zika virus transmission might decide to delay pregnancy.
- Page last reviewed: October 3, 2016
- Page last updated: October 3, 2016
- Content source: