Healthcare Providers Caring for Reproductive-Age Women
- Women and men who are planning to conceive in the near future should consider avoiding nonessential travel to areas with risk of Zika.
- It is important for women and their partners to plan their pregnancies in the context of the Zika outbreak. Healthcare providers should discuss reproductive life plans, including pregnancy intentions and timing of pregnancy with women of reproductive age.
- Women and men with possible exposure to Zika and who experience symptoms of Zika should be tested.
- Zika virus testing is not recommended for asymptomatic couples interested in attempting conception in which one or both partners has had possible exposure to Zika virus.
- CDC recommends women and men diagnosed with Zika or who have possible exposure to Zika through sex or travel wait before trying to conceive.
- New – HAN Advisory: Prolonged IgM Antibody Response in People Infected with Zika Virus: Implications for Interpreting Serologic Testing Results for Pregnant Women (May 5, 2017)
- UPDATE: Interim Guidance for Preconception Counseling and Prevention of Sexual Transmission of Zika Virus for Persons with Possible Zika Virus Exposure – United States, September 2016 (Sept. 30, 2016)
- HAN Advisory: CDC Guidance for Travel and Testing of Pregnant Women and Women of Reproductive Age for Zika Virus Infection Related to the Investigation for Local Mosquito-borne Zika Virus Transmission in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties, Florida (HAN, Aug. 1, 2016)
- Interim Guidance for Health Care Providers Caring for Women of Reproductive Age with Possible Zika Virus Exposure – United States, 2016 (MMWR, March 25, 2016)
- Estimating Contraceptive Needs and Increasing Access to Contraception in Response to the Zika Virus Disease Outbreak – Puerto Rico, 2016 (MMWR, Mar. 25, 2016)
- Interim Guidelines for Health Care Providers Caring for Pregnant Women and Women of Reproductive Age with Possible Zika Virus Exposure – United States, 2016 (MMWR, Feb. 5, 2016)
- Page last reviewed: May 5, 2017
- Page last updated: May 5, 2017
- Content source: