Health Care Cost | Nutrition Evaluation Measures
Health care cost measures for nutrition1-4
In contrast with the worker productivity costs described above, health care costs are measures of the direct medical expenses of providing employee health care and preventive health programs.
- Determine current health care use and costs, including pharmaceuticals, counseling, and inpatient and outpatient care, for the diseases and conditions affected by dietary behavior. Examples include: type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity and high cholesterol
- Determine the current health care use and costs for clinical nutrition services (if covered), including counseling, prescribed supplements and other medication, outpatient and inpatient care for employees
- Determine the health care use and costs of program participants before education and other programs are initiated and after operation of these programs
- Periodic repeats of baseline health measures
- Assess changes in health care use and costs from baseline
- Assess changes in the type, use, and costs of employee health benefits related to clinical nutrition services (if covered)
- Compare health care use and costs of program participants before education and other programs are initiated and after operation of these programs
1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Framework for program evaluation in public health. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 1999;48(No. RR-11): 1-40.
2. Goetzel RZ, Ozminkowski RJ. Program evaluation. In: O’Donnell MP, editor. Health promotion in the workplace, 3rd edition. Albany, NY: Delmar Thomson Learning; 2002. p 116-165.
3. Campbell KP, Lanza A, Dixon R, Chattopadhyay S, Molinari N, Finch RA, editors. A Purchaser’s Guide to Clinical Preventive Services: Moving Science into Coverage. Washington, DC: National Business Group on Health; 2006.
4. Matson Koffman DM, Lanza A, Campbell KP. A Purchaser’s Guide to Clinical Preventive Services: A tool to improve health care coverage for prevention. Preventing Chronic Disease, April 2008; 5(2).
- Page last reviewed: March 30, 2016
- Page last updated: March 30, 2016
- Content Source: