Zika and Pregnancy
What you should know
Estimated range of Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus in the United States, 2016*.
- Aedes aegypti mosquitoes are more likely to spread viruses like Zika, dengue, chikungunya than other types of mosquitoes such as Aedes albopictus mosquitoes.
- These maps show CDC’s best estimate of the potential range of Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus in the United States.
- These maps include areas where mosquitoes are or have been previously found.
- Shaded areas on the map do not necessarily mean that there are infected mosquitoes in that area.
*Maps have been updated from a variety of sources. These maps represent CDC’s best estimate of the potential range of Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus in the United States. Maps are not meant to represent risk for spread of disease.
SOURCE: Zika: Vector Surveillance and Control. www.cdc.gov/zika/vector/index.html
Mosquito prevention starts with you.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants and treat clothing with permethrin.
- Eliminate standing water inside and outside your home.
- Use screens on the exterior of your home to keep mosquitoes outside.
- Repair and seal your septic system.
- Use an EPA-registered insect repellent. www.epa.gov/insect-repellents
- Work together to eliminate standing water and reduce mosquito populations.
- Protect yourself, your family, and your community, which will…protect her pregnancy.
- Page last reviewed: April 1, 2016
- Page last updated: April 1, 2016
- Content Source:
- National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (NCEZID)
- Page maintained by: Office of the Associate Director for Communications (OADC)