Publications and Resources
Top of Page
Background and Development
- Tharp, A.T., Burton, T., Freire, K., Hall, D., Harrier, S., Latzman, N., Luo, F., Niolon, P., Ramirez, M., & Vagi, K. (2011). Dating Matters™: Strategies to Promote Healthy Teen Relationships. Journal of Women’s Health. 20, 1-5.
- Tharp, A. T. (2012). Dating Matters™: The next generation of teen dating violence prevention. Prevention Science, 13(4), 398-401.
- Tharp, A. T., Carter, M., Fasula, A. M., Hatfield-Timajchy, K., Jayne, P. E., Latzman, N. E., & Kinsey, J. (2013). Advancing adolescent sexual and reproductive health by promoting healthy relationships. Journal of Women’s Health, 22(11), 911-914.
Design and Implementation
- Niolon, P. H., Taylor, B. G., Latzman, N. E., Vivolo-Kantor, A. M., Valle, L. A., & Tharp, A. T. (2016). Lessons learned in evaluating a multisite, comprehensive teen dating violence prevention strategy: Design and challenges of the evaluation of dating matters: Strategies to promote healthy teen relationships. Psychology of Violence, 6(3), 452
Understanding Teen Dating Violence and Related Risk Behaviors
- Niolon, P. H., Vivolo-Kantor, A., Latzman, N. E., Valle, L. A., Burton, T., Kuoh, H., Taylor, B., & Tharp, A. T. (2015). Prevalence of teen dating violence and co-occurring risk factors among middle school youth in high risk urban communities. Journal of Adolescent Health, 56, S5–S13.
- Latzman, N. E., Vivolo-Kantor, A. M., Niolon, P. H., & Ghazarian, S. R. (2015). Predicting adolescent dating violence perpetration: role of exposure to intimate partner violence and parenting practices. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 49(3), 476-482.
Top of Page
- Dating Matters Promotional Brochure – COMING SOON!
- Dating Matters Toolkit: Implementation Guidance and Resources – COMING SOON!
- Using Indicator Data to Inform Teen Dating Violence Prevention: A Guide for Local Health Departments – COMING SOON!
- Forehand, R., Armistead, L., Long, N., Wyckoff, S.C., Kotchick, B.A., Whitaker, D., . . . Miller, K.S. (2007) Efficacy of a parent-based sexual-risk prevention program for African American preadolescents: a randomized controlled trial. Archives of Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine,161(12),1123-1129.
- Foshee, V. A., Bauman, K. E., Arriaga, X. B., Helms, R. W., Koch, G. G., & Linder, G. F. (1998). An evaluation of Safe Dates, an adolescent dating violence prevention program. American Journal of Public Health, 88(1), 45–50.
- Foshee, V. A., Bauman, K. E., Greene, W. F., Koch, G. G., Linder, G. F., & MacDougall, J. E. (2000). The Safe Dates program: 1-year follow-up results. American Journal of Public Health, 90(10), 1619–1622.
- Foshee, V.A., Bauman, K.E., Ennett, S.T., Linder, G.F., Benefield, T., & Suchindran, C. (2004). Assessing the long-term effects of the Safe Dates program and a booster in preventing and reducing adolescent dating violence victimization and perpetration. American Journal of Public Health ,94(4), 619-624.
Families for Safe Dates
- Foshee, V.A., McNaughton Reyes, H.L., Ennett, S.T., Cance, J.D., Bauman, K.E., Bowling, J.M. (2012). Assessing the effects of Families for Safe Dates, a family-based teen dating abuse prevention program. Journal of Adolescent Health, 51(4), 349-356.