Hib Vaccine Recommendations
Below are summaries of recommendations from CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). For the full text of the recommendations, see Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) ACIP Vaccine Recommendations.
Routine Vaccination of Infants and Children
CDC recommends routine administration of a conjugate Hib vaccine series beginning at age 2 months (Table 1):
- Infants 2 through 6 months of age should receive either:
- A 3-dose series of Hib PRP-T as ActHib®, Hiberix®, or Pentacel®
- A 2-dose series of Hib PRP-OMP as PedvaxHib®
- You can administer the first dose as early as age 6 weeks.
- CDC recommends a booster dose of any licensed conjugate Hib vaccine at age 12 through 15 months.
- Administer the booster dose at least 8 weeks after the most recent Hib vaccination.
- The booster dose will be dose 3 or 4 depending on vaccine type used in the primary series.
Catch-up Guidance for Children 4 Months through 18 Years
The following “job-aids” provide catch-up guidance for Hib vaccination for children 4 months through 18 years of age. They include detailed scenarios by age group and previous number of doses received. These materials should assist healthcare professionals in interpreting Figure 2 of the Childhood/Adolescent Immunization Catch-up Schedule.
- Hib Vaccine Products: ActHIB®, Pentacel®, or Unknown pdf icon[3 pages]
- Hib Vaccine Products: Pedvax® Vaccine Only pdf icon[3 pages]
Contraindications and Precautions
You should not administer Hib vaccines to:
- A person who has ever had a severe allergic reaction (e.g., anaphylaxis) after a previous dose
- A person who has a severe allergy to any vaccine component
- A person younger than 6 weeks
You may administer Hib vaccines, if you and the parent or patient deem the benefits of vaccination to outweigh the risks, to:
- A person who has a moderate or severe acute illness with or without fever
- ACIP—Vaccines for Children (VFC) Resolutions
- Contraindications and Precautions to Commonly Used Vaccines
- Contraindications and Precautions to Hib Vaccination
From the Pink Book’s Chapter on Haemophilus influenzae type b
- Contraindications and Precautions to Vaccination (General Information)
From the Pink Book’s General Recommendations on Immunization
- Hib Vaccine Information Statement
- Standing Orders
Immunization Action Coalition
- Use of Vaccines to Prevent Meningitis in Persons with Cochlear Implants