VFC Parents Brief Answers to Common Questions

Did You Know Your Child Can Get Free Vaccines?

Vaccines for Children can help. The Vaccines for Children (VFC) program provides free vaccines to children who qualify. About half of American children less than 19 years old receive VFC vaccine.

Question and Answer image

This page is a replica of the printable flyer which provides quick, brief answers to frequently asked questions about VFC. For additional details on these questions and more, consult the Detailed Questions and Answers page.

Is my child eligible for the VFC Program?

Children are eligible if they are 18 years of age or younger and they:

  • Qualify for Medicaid
  • Don’t have insurance
  • Are American Indian or Alaska Native

Children whose insurance doesn’t cover some or all routinely recommended vaccines (underinsured) can still get vaccines through VFC if they go to a Federally Qualified Health Center or Rural Health Clinic.

Where can I go to get my child vaccinated?

  • Ask if your child’s doctor or nurse is a VFC provider. Nationally, there are thousands of health care providers enrolled in the VFC program.
  • If your child does not have a doctor, ask if your local public health department provides vaccines.
  • Visit a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) or Rural Health Clinic (RHC).

How much will I have to pay?

  • All routinely recommended vaccines are free through the VFC Program.
  • Doctors can charge fees to give each shot. However, they cannot refuse to vaccinate your child if you are unable to pay these fees.
  • The doctor can charge additional fees for the office visit or non-vaccine services such as an eye exam or blood test.

Where can I get more information?

View Page In: PDF [755K]