Talking to Parents about Vaccines
Immunization Quality Improvement for Providers (IQIP) program
Many parents have questions about their children’s vaccines, and answering their questions can help parents feel confident in choosing to vaccinate their child according to the recommended immunization schedule. Materials to assist you in starting conversations with parents include:
Learn conversational techniques and find resources for discussing vaccines with parents.
Many parents have similar questions about vaccines. Prepare for common parent questions and learn techniques for your conversations about immunization.
Sharing Information with Parents
Many parents appreciate any information you can provide them about vaccinations, whether in print form or websites they can visit. Information to share with parents includes:
This information outlines possible risks for parents who choose to delay or decline a vaccine; it also offers steps for parents to take to protect their child, family, and others.
These sheets provide facts, true stories, and information about the diseases that childhood vaccines help prevent.
- Suggestions to Improve Your Immunization Services pdf iconexternal icon
- CDC’s Immunizations and Vaccinations
- Recommended Child and Adolescent Immunization Schedule for ages 18 years or younger, United States
- CDC’s Vaccine Schedules App
- Online Immunization Training for Health Care Providers
- Vaccine Information Statements (VISs)
- Vaccines for Children (VFC) Program
- Vaccine Storage and Handling Toolkit
- Textbook: Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases (the “Pink Book”)
- Quality Improvement Programs Targeting Immunization
- Reminder Systems and Strategies for Increasing Childhood Vaccination Rates
- Guide to Community Preventive Services: Vaccination external icon
- Healthy People 2020external icon
- Immunization Information Systems (IISs)
- HPV Resources for Clinicians
- Book: Parents’ Guide to Childhood Immunizations
- Fact Sheet: Information for Health Care Professionals about Adolescent Vaccinespdf icon
- Fact Sheet: Tips and Time-Savers for Talking with Parents about HPV Vaccinepdf icon
- Provider Resources for Vaccine Conversations with Parents
- Fact Sheet: Understanding Vaccines and Vaccine Safety
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Toolkit for Clinicians
- Preteens and Teens Still Need Vaccines
- Print Materials for Preteens and Teens