- Shaw KA, Szablewski CM, Kellner S, et al. Psittacosis Outbreak among Workers at Chicken Slaughter Plants, Virginia, and Georgia, USA, 2018. Emerg Infect Dis. 2019;25(11):2143-2145.
- Biggs HM, Van Beneden CA, Kurkjian K, et al. Severe human metapneumovirus and group A Streptococcus pneumonia in an immunocompetent adult. Clin Infect Dis. 2019. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciz961
- Tomczyk S, Arriola CS, Beall B, et al. Multistate Outbreak of Respiratory Infections among Unaccompanied Children, June–July 2014. Clin Infect Dis. 2016;63(1):48–56.
- Hastings DL, Harrington KJ, Kutty PK, et al. Mycoplasma pneumoniae Outbreak in a Long-Term Care Facility — Nebraska, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015;64(11):296–9.
- CDC. Severe Respiratory Illness Associated with Enterovirus D68-Missouri and Illinois, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63(36);798–799.
- CDC. Unexplained Respiratory Disease Outbreak Working Group Activities — Worldwide, March 2007–September 2011. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012;61(26):480–3.
- CDC. Acute Respiratory Disease Associated with Adenovirus Serotype 14 — Four States, 2006—2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2007;56(45):1181–4.
- CDC. Outbreaks of Respiratory Illness Mistakenly Attributed to Pertussis — New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Tennessee, 2004–2006. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2007;56(33):837–42.
- Barker BM, Jewell KA, Kroken S, Orbach MJ. The Population Biology of Coccidioides: Epidemiologic Implications for Disease Outbreaks. Ann NY Acad Sci. 2007;1111:147–63.
- O’Loughlin RE, Kightlinger L, Werpy MC, et al. Restaurant Outbreak of Legionnaires’ Disease Associated with a Decorative Fountain: An Environmental and Case-control Study. BMC Infect Dis. 2007;7:93.
- Phares CR, Russell E, Thigpen MC, et al. Legionnaires’ Disease among Residents of a Long-term Care Facility: The Sentinel Event in a Community Outbreak. Am J Infect Control. 2007;35(5):319–23.
- Burnsed LJ, Hicks LA, Smithee LM, et al. A Large, Travel-associated Outbreak of Legionellosis among Hotel Guests: Utility of the Urine Antigen Assay in Confirming Pontiac Fever. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;44(2):222–8.
- CDC. Outbreak of Group A Streptococcal Pneumonia among Marine Corps Recruits– California, November 1-December 20, 2002 (Feb 2003). MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2003;52(06):106–9.
- CDC. Use of Pulsed-Field Gel Electrophoresis for Investigation of a Cluster of Invasive Group A Streptococcal Illness – Spokane, Washington, 1999. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1999;48(31):681–3.
- Feikin DR, Moroney JF, Talkington DF, et al. An Outbreak of Acute Respiratory Disease Caused by Mycoplasma pneumoniae and Adenovirus at a Federal Service Training Academy: New Implications from an Old Scenario. Clin Infect Dis. 1999;29:1545–50.
- Reingold AL. Outbreak Investigations-A Perspective. Emerg Infect Dis. 1998;4(1):21–7.
- CDC. Outbreak of Invasive Group A Streptococcus Associated with Varicella in a Childcare Center — Boston, Massachusetts, 1997 (October 1997). MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1997;46(40):944–8.
- CDC. Outbreaks of Mycoplasma pneumoniae Respiratory Infection – Ohio, Texas, and New York, 1993. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1993;42(48):931, 937–9.
Disease Control and Prevention Measures
- National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians. Compendium of measures to control Chlamydia psittaci infection among humans (psittacosis) and pet birds (avian chlamydiosis), 2017 [22 pages].
- Compendium of Measures To Prevent Disease Associated with Animals in Public Settings, 2013 [25 pages]
- CDC. Guidelines for Preventing the Transmission of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Health-Care Settings, 2005. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2005;54(RR17):1–141.
- CDC. Guidelines for preventing health-care-associated pneumonia, 2003: recommendations of CDC and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC). [40 pages] MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2004;53(RR3):1–179.
- CDC. Guidelines for Environmental Infection Control in Health-Care Facilities. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2003;52(RR10):1–42.
- CDC. Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome-United States: Updated Recommendations for Risk Reduction [16 pages]. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2002;51(RR9):1–14.
- Prevention of Invasive Group A Streptococcal Disease among Household Contacts of Case Patients and among Postpartum and Postsurgical Patients: Recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;35(8):950–9.
- CDC. Prevention of Plague: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1996;45(RR14):1–15.
- Dupont HT, Raoult D, Brouqui P, et al. Epidemiologic Features and Clinical Presentation of Acute Q Fever in Hospitalized Patients: 323 French Cases. Amer J Med. 1992;93:427–34.
Diagnosis and Treatment
- Chapman SW, Bradsher RW, Campbell GD, et al. Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Management of Blastomycosis: 2008 Update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;46(12):1801–12.
- Infectious Disease Society of American/ American Thoracic Society Consensus Guidelines on Management of Community-Acquired Pneumonia in Adults. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;44(Suppl. 2).
- CDC. Treatment of Tuberculosis. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2003;52(RR11):1–77.
- Practice Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Group A Streptococcal Pharyngitis. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;35(2):113–25.
- Hyde TB, Gilbert M, Zell ER, et al. Azithromycin Prophylaxis During a Hospital Outbreak of Mycoplasma pneumoniae Pneumonia. J Infect Dis. 2001;183(6):907–12.
During outbreaks, you may be required to assist with communication, either to the public or to the media, or both. Here are some tools to assist you.