Infectious diseases are caused by organisms—like bacteria and viruses—that can be spread from one person to another. American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) populations are affected by infectious diseases at higher numbers than other racial/ethnic groups. The following resources provide information about some infectious diseases for which AI/AN populations have an increased health burden. A link to Zika virus resources for AI/AN communities is also included.
- HIV among American Indian and Alaska Natives
- Report: Improving HIV Surveillance Among American Indians and Alaska Natives in the United States [PDF-552KB]
- National Native HIV/AIDS Awareness Day-March 20
- Page last reviewed: July 22, 2016
- Page last updated: January 23, 2018
- Content source: