Nighttime seat belt use among front seat passengers: Does the driver’s belt use matter?external icon
This study explores the relationship between nighttime seat belt use of right-front passengers and their drivers in east Tennessee during March 2015–May 2017. Overall, nighttime passenger seat belt use averaged 86%; however it varied from 92% when the drivers were wearing a seat belt to 42% when drivers were not wearing a seat belt. These results suggest that drivers might heavily influence their passengers’ seat belt status.
Motor Vehicle Crash Deaths. July 2016.
- Trucker Safety. March 2015.
- Motor Vehicle Crash Injuries. October 2014.
- Adult Seat Belt Use. January 2011.
- Boakye KF, Shults RA , Everett JD. Nighttime seat belt use among front seat passengers: Does the driver’s belt use matter?external icon Journal of Safety Research 2019; DIO:10.1016/j.jsr.2019.04.004
- Beck L, Kresnow M, Bergen G. Belief about seat belt use and seat belt wearing behavior among front and rear seat passengers in the United Statesexternal icon. Journal of Safety Research 2019; DIO: 10.1060/j.jsr.2018.12.007
- Shults RA, Haegerich TM. Bhat G. Teens and seatbelt use: what makes them click?external icon J Safety Res 2016;57:19–25; DOI:10.1016/j.jsr.2016.03.003
- Bhat G, Beck L, Bergen G, Kresnow M. Predictors of rear seat belt use among US adults, 2012pdf icon. J Safety Res 2015;53:103-106.
- Faul M, Bell J, Bergen G. Seat belts and airbags in motor vehicle crashes: How protective are these devices in preventing or reducing the severity of a TBI? Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation 2015;30: E1-E56.
- Shults RA, Beck LF. Self-reported seatbelt use, United States, 2002–2010: Does prevalence vary by state and type of seatbelt law?external icon J Safety Res 2012;43:417-20.
- Strine TW, Beck L, Bolen J, Okoro C, Li C. Potential moderating role of seat belt law on the relationship between seat belt use and adverse health behaviorexternal icon. Am J Health Behav 2012;36:44-55.
- Ibrahimova I, Shults RA, Beck LF. Comparison of 2008 national and state-level self-reported and observed seatbelt use estimatesexternal icon. Inj Prev 2011;17:201-3.
- Strine TW, Beck LF, Bolen J, Okoro C, Dhingra S, Balluz L. Geographic and sociodemographic variation in self-reported seat belt use in the United Statesexternal icon. Acc Anal Prev 2010;42:1066-1071.
- Beck LF, Shults RA. Seat Belt Use in States and Territories with Primary and Secondary Laws – United States, 2006external icon. J Safety Research 2009;40:469-472.
- Beck LF, Shults RA, Mack K, Ryan G. Associations Between Sociodemographics and Safety Belt Use in States With and Without Primary Enforcement Lawsexternal icon. Am J Public Health 2007;97:1619-24.
- Beck LF, Shults RA, Colley Gilbert B. Pregnant women and safety belts: what do we know?external icon Research on Women’s Issues in Transportation: Report of a Conference 2005;35(2):140-6.
- Beck LF, Colley Gilbert B, Shults RA. Prevalence of seat belt use among reproductive-aged women and prenatal counseling to wear seat beltsexternal icon. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2005;192(2):580-5.
- Shults RA, Elder RW, Sleet DA, Thompson RS, Nichols JL. Primary enforcement seat belt laws are effective even in the face of rising belt use ratesexternal icon. Acc Anal Prev 2004;36: 491–493.
- Hedlund J, Preusser DF, Shults RA. A research agenda for increasing safety belt use in the United States. J Safety Research;2004:35-231-235.
- Shults RA, Nichols JL, Dinh-Zarr TB, Sleet DA, Elder RW. Effectiveness of primary enforcement safety belt laws and enhanced enforcement of safety belt laws: A summary of the Guide to Community Preventive Services systematic reviewsexternal icon. J Safety Research 2004;35:189–196.
- Dinh-Zarr, T. B., Sleet, D. A., Shults, R. A., Zaza, S., Elder, R. W., Nichols, J. L., et al. (2001). Reviews of evidence regarding interventions to increase the use of safety beltsexternal icon. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 21(Suppl 4), 48−65.
- Beck LF, Downs J, Stevens MR, Sauber-Schatz EK. Rural and Urban Differences in Passenger-Vehicle-Occupant Deaths and Seat Belt Use Among Adults — United States, 2014. MMWR Surveill Summ 2017;66(17):1-13.
- Sauber-Schatz EK, Ederer DJ, Dellinger AM, Baldwin GT. Vital Signs: Motor Vehicle Injury Prevention — United States and 19 Comparison Countries. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. ePub: 6 July 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6526e1external icon
- Chen GX, Collins JW, Sieber WK, Pratt SG, et al. Vital Signs: Seat Belt Use Among Long-Haul Truck Drivers — United States, 2010. MMWR 2015;64:217-221.
- Beck LF, West BA. Vital Signs: Nonfatal, motor vehicle-occupant injuries (2009) and seat belt use (2008) among adults – United States. MMWR 2011;59:1681-6.
- Beck LF, Mack KA, Shults RA. Impact of primary laws on adult use of safety belts – United States, 2002. MMWR 2004;53:257-60.