Trends in State and Federal Cigarette Tax and Retail Price—United States, 1970–2016
The graph above shows that state and federal excise taxes increased between 1970 and 2014, and cost per pack steeply increased during that time period, as follows:
- In 1970
- Average cost per pack was $0.38
- Average tax per pack was $0.18
- In 2016
- Average cost per pack was $6.43
- Average tax per pack was $2.85
Note: Costs are for full-priced brands, including federal, state, and local taxes, if applicable.
Source: Orzechowski and Walker. The Tax Burden on Tobacco, Volume 51. Arlington (VA): Orzechowski and Walker, 2016 [accessed 2017 Nov 6].
- Page last reviewed: November 14, 2017
- Page last updated: November 14, 2017
- Content source: