Complete 1998 Report
This web page is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated. Newer data/information is available: Latest Surgeon General's Reports
This 1998 report is the first in the 34-year history of Surgeon General’s studies on tobacco and health to focus on tobacco use among ethnic and racial minorities.
Download reportpdf icon
- Introductory Informationpdf icon [PDF–78 KB]
- Chapter 1. Introduction and Summary of Conclusionspdf icon
- Chapter 2. Patterns of Tobacco Use Among Four Racial/Ethnic Minority Groupspdf icon [PDF–1271 KB]
- Chapter 3. Health Consequences of Tobacco Use Among Four Racial/Ethnic Minority Groupspdf icon
- Chapter 4. Factors That Influence Tobacco Use Among Four Racial/Ethnic Minority Groupspdf icon [PDF–277 KB]
- Chapter 5. Tobacco Control and Education Efforts Among Members of Four Racial/Ethnic Minority Groupspdf icon
- List of Tables and Figurespdf icon [PDF–42 KB]
- Glossarypdf icon [PDF–38 KB]
- Indexpdf icon [PDF–73 KB]
Disclaimer: Data and findings provided in the publications on this page reflect the content of this particular Surgeon General’s Report. More recent information may exist elsewhere on the Smoking & Tobacco Use Web site (for example, in fact sheets, frequently asked questions, or other materials that are reviewed on a regular basis and updated accordingly).