Published January 2017
The Midcourse Review provides a snapshot of progress toward the Healthy People 2020 goals and objectives halfway through the 10-year initiative. This assessment provides a roadmap for the second half of the decade.
The Tobacco Use chapter of the midcourse review includes objectives that monitor the prevalence of tobacco use, initiation of tobacco use, smoking cessation, health systems changes to reduce tobacco use, and social and environmental changes to reduce tobacco use and exposure to secondhand smoke.
To read the full report, visit Healthy People 2020 Midcourse Review.
Midcourse Status of Tobacco Use Objectives
The midcourse status of the 77 objectives in the Tobacco Use topic area are as follows:
- 8 objectives have met or exceeded targets,
- 25 are improving,
- 30 have little or no detectable change,
- 3 are getting worse,
- and 2 have baseline data only.
Midcourse Status of Tobacco Use LHIs
The tobacco use LHIs are listed below along with data updates from the Midcourse Review report. Interactive charts and data related to these objectives and others are available in the Tobacco Use National Snapshots.
- TU-1.1: Adults who are current cigarette smokers
- The age-adjusted proportion of adults aged 18 and over who were current cigarette smokers (TU-1.1) decreased from 20.6% in 2008 to 17.0% in 2014, moving toward the 2020 target.
- TU-2.2: Adolescents who smoked cigarettes in the past 30 days
- The proportion of students in grades 9–12 who smoked cigarettes in the past 30 days decreased from 19.5% in 2009 to 15.7% in 2013, exceeding the 2020 target.
- TU-11.1: Children aged 3 to 11 years exposed to secondhand smoke
- The proportion of children aged 3–11 years who were exposed to secondhand smoke (TU-11.1) decreased from 52.2% in 2005–2008 to 41.3% in 2009–2012, exceeding the 2020 target.
National Center for Health Statistics. Chapter 41: Tobacco Use. Healthy People 2020 Midcourse Review. Hyattsville, MD. 2016.
- Page last reviewed: December 6, 2018
- Page last updated: March 20, 2017
- Content source: