The resources below present the most recent evidence and clinical guidelines for treating tobacco use and dependence. You will also find usable tools to guide your practice and help you integrate tobacco treatment into routine clinical care.
- You Can Help Your Patients Quit Tobacco Use.pdf icon pdf icon[PDF– 773 KB] This document provides suggestions and free resources to assist you in supporting your patients in their quit attempts.
- Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence: A Quick Reference Guide.pdf iconexternal iconpdf iconexternal iconpdf iconexternal icon pdf icon[PDF– 1.07 KB]external icon This guide summarizes the findings from the Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence, Clinical Practice Guideline: 2008 Updateexternal iconexternal iconexternal iconexternal icon, including a summary of evidence-based cessation treatments and information for healthcare decision-making.
- Brief Tobacco Intervention Pocket Card. pdf icon[PDF–103 KB] Use this pocket card as a quick-reference for the 5As and AA-R approaches to brief clinical tobacco cessation interventions.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Tobacco Cessation Recommendations.external iconexternal iconexternal icon Read the USPSTF’s most recent recommendations for tobacco smoking cessation interventions for adults, including pregnant women.
- Million Hearts® Tools for Clinicians and Health Systems
- Protocol for Identifying and Treating Patients Who Use Tobaccoexternal icon pdf pdf icon[PDF–633KB]external icon Create your own tobacco cessation protocol using the Million Hearts® template which is based on the most recent clinical guidelines for treating tobacco use and dependence.
- Identifying and Treating Patients Who Use Tobacco: Action Steps for Cliniciansexternal icon
pdf pdf icon[PDF– 339 KB]external icon Use this companion guide with the Million Hearts® tobacco treatment protocol. It contains practical information and action steps to enable healthcare providers to effectively treat tobacco use and dependence.
- Tobacco Cessation Change Package external iconpdf pdf icon[PDF– 796 KB]external iconThis Million Hearts® quality improvement resource contains actionable ideas, useful resources, and health system design considerations to help health systems and practices increase the reach and effectiveness of tobacco cessation interventions.
- The Community Guide.external iconexternal iconexternal icon The Guide to Community Preventive Services is a free resource to help you choose programs and policies to improve health and prevent disease in your community. It includes systematic reviews of tobacco prevention and control interventions, including for cessation and secondhand smoke exposure.pdf iconpdf iconexternal iconexternal iconpdf iconexternal iconpdf iconpdf iconexternal iconexternal iconpdf iconexternal icon