The pollutants released by vehicles can greatly increase air pollution levels and greenhouse gas emissions that have been linked to adverse health effects including premature mortality, cardiac symptoms, exacerbation of asthma symptoms, and diminished lung function. In order to minimize the damaging impact of our current transportation choices, it is essential to adopt more sustainable methods of travel.
Sustainable travel generates income and employment for travel destinations while protecting local ecosystems and preserving local culture. Small steps like combining trips, using public transit, and generally considering the environment when traveling will show a major commitment to preserve resources, save energy, and be more sustainable.
- Walking and bicycling
- Public transportation
- Telework and alternate work schedules
Green Travel Tips
- Use public transportation in your destination city
- Purchase electronic tickets
- Inquire about hotel van service and forgo renting a car
- Utilize internet map services instead of printing maps
- Participate in hotel linen reuse programs
- Settle your accounts via the hotel’s electronic checkout program