Public Health Data Modernization Initiative
CDC is dedicated to unlocking the full potential of data for disease detection and elimination. The Public Health Data Modernization Initiative marks the first comprehensive, cross-cutting effort to improve data at CDC by modernizing tools, technology, strategy, and our own attitudes and culture around data – all at the same time. This initiative will support public health surveillance, research and, ultimately, decision making.
This strategic imperative will transform how we collect, use, and share data through modern IT capabilities to save lives and improve health. The plan can address key questions, including:
- How do we improve timeliness and quality of data?
- How can we better coordinate data activities and systems?
- How can we reduce burden on data partners?
- How can we integrate emerging technologies more effectively?
The plan can also help CDC and our partners chart a course to a future where data drives action in real time—efficiently, flexibly, rapidly, and with impact.
You can learn more about the initiative through these the following resources:
Learn more about why modernization matters:
- Modernizing for New and Complex Threatspdf icon
- Public Health Data: Harnessing the Power of Data to Save Livespdf icon
- Infographic: The New World of Public Health Datapdf icon
Find out about investments that are leading our modernization efforts forward:
- Fact sheet: Public Health Data Modernizationpdf icon
You can also read more about where we’ve been and where we’re headed.