Public Health Data Modernization Initiative
CDC is dedicated to unlocking the full potential of data for disease detection and elimination. The Public Health Data Modernization Initiative marks the first comprehensive, cross-cutting effort to improve data at CDC by modernizing tools, technology, strategy, and our own attitudes and culture around data – all at the same time. This initiative will support public health surveillance, research and, ultimately, decision making.
This strategic imperative will transform how we collect, use, and share data through modern IT capabilities to save lives and improve health. The plan can address key questions, including:
- How do we improve timeliness and quality of data?
- How can we better coordinate data activities and systems?
- How can we reduce burden on data partners?
- How can we integrate emerging technologies more effectively?
The plan can also help CDC and our partners chart a course to a future where data drives action in real time—efficiently, flexibly, rapidly, and with impact.
You can learn more about the initiative through these two informative briefs:
- Public Health Data: Harnessing the Power of Data to Save Livespdf icon
- Modernizing for New and Complex Threatspdf icon
You can also read more about where we’ve been and where we’re headed.
See how modernization helps protect the nation’s health.
Check out this infographic that highlights a number of key transformation goals.