Data Modernization Initiative
CDC is dedicated to unlocking the full potential of data for disease detection and elimination. The Data Modernization Initiative marks the first comprehensive strategy to modernize data, technology, and workforce capabilities – together and at once. This initiative supports public health surveillance, research and, ultimately, decision making.
The COVID-19 pandemic has underscored public health’s need to modernize – and delivered a powerful drive to make it happen. To do this work strategically and effectively, we have developed a roadmap for data modernization that will keep our purpose front and center.
The CDC Data Modernization Initiative: A Roadmap of Activities and Expected Outcomes pdf icon[PDF – 315 KB] clearly lays out a path from where are now to where we need to be. This framework:
- Presents a vision of what our modernization strategy was created to do
- Guides decisions for allocating resources
- Provides a structure to track our progress and success along the way
We will continue using this framework to align our activities and resources toward specific and measurable outcomes.
The Data Modernization Initiative will transform how we collect, use, and share data through modern IT capabilities to save lives and improve health. The plan addresses key questions, including:
- How do we improve timeliness and quality of data?
- How can we better coordinate data activities and systems?
- How can we reduce burden on data partners?
- How can we integrate emerging technologies more effectively?
In the long term, the plan will help CDC and our partners chart a course to a future where data drives action in real time—efficiently, flexibly, rapidly, and with impact—in a post-COVID world.
You can learn more about the initiative through the following resources:
Learn more about why modernization matters pdf icon[PDF – 315 KB]:
- The CDC Data Modernization Initiative: A Roadmap of Activities and Expected Outcomes pdf icon[PDF – 315 KB]
- Modernizing for New and Complex Threats
- Public Health Data: Harnessing the Power of Data to Save Lives pdf icon[PDF – 2 pages]
- Infographic: The New World of Public Health Data pdf icon[PDF – 99 KB]
Find out about investments that are leading our modernization efforts forward:
You can also read more about where we’ve been and where we’re headed.