Stroke Educational Materials for Health Professionals
Find stroke resources, including fact sheets, podcasts, and trainings.
Fact Sheets Related to Stroke
- Vital Signs: Preventing Stroke Deaths
- High Blood Pressure
- Heart Disease
- Men and Heart Disease
- Women and Heart Disease
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Heart Failure
- CDC’s monthly Coffee Break webinar series offers 20-minute mini-trainings focused on knowledge translation tools and evaluation basics for chronic disease programs. Search the archives for trainings on stroke from this year and recent years.
Guidelines, Recommendations, and Reports
- Vital Signs: Preventing 1 Million Heart Attacks and Strokes
Outlines how public health and health care professionals, health systems, and communities can help keep people healthy, optimize care, and improve outcomes for priority populations.
- Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressureexternal icon
Provides evidence-based guidelines about preventing and managing high blood pressure. From the National Heart, Blood, and Lung Institute.
- Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults: The Evidence Reportexternal icon
Provides evidence-based guidelines about screening for and treating overweight and obesity. From the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
- Physical Activity and Health: A Report of the Surgeon General
The first Surgeon General’s Report specifically addressing physical activity and health.
- Surgeon General’s Reports Related to Tobacco Use
Links to reports concerning smoking and health, including reports on involuntary exposure to tobacco smoke and on tobacco use among ethnic minority groups.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americansexternal icon
Provides authoritative advice about good dietary habits that can promote health and lower the risk of disease. Published jointly every 5 years by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF)external icon
Provides links to reviews of evidence of effectiveness and recommendations for clinical preventive services that are developed by an independent panel of experts in primary care and prevention.
- Markers of Inflammation and Cardiovascular Disease: Application to Clinical and Public Health Practice. A Statement for Healthcare Professionals from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Heart Associationexternal icon
Examines strategies for the identification of high-risk patients who need primary prevention. Results were published in the journal Circulation.
- Guide to Community Preventive Servicesexternal icon
Shares what is known about the effectiveness, economic efficiency, and feasibility of programs to promote community health and prevent disease.
- Paul Coverdell National Acute Stroke Program—Stories from the Field pdf icon[PDF-606K]
Each Coverdell-funded state has identified unique ways to meet the goals and objectives of the Coverdell Program. These strategies from the field show the creative ways in which Coverdell states are addressing stroke care. The information can be used by Coverdell-funded states as well as states that are not funded by the Coverdell Program.
- The Roadmap: A Systematic Approach to State Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Programs
The Roadmap is a Web-based resource for training and information for state Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention (HDSP) Program coordinators. It suggests steps for carrying out HDSP Program requirements, as well as easy online access to training, tools, and resources. The Roadmap offers information on four key areas of programmatic activities for HDSP Programs, including what to do and how to do it.
- What You Need to Know About Strokeexternal icon—National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)
- Know Stroke: Know the Signs, Act in Timeexternal icon—NINDS
- Mind Your Risksexternal icon–National Institutes of Health
- Strokeexternal icon–Medline Plus
- Brain Attack Coalitionexternal icon
- Massachusetts Health Promotion Clearinghouseexternal icon
- Partners Telestroke Centerexternal icon
- Stroke Resource Centerexternal icon–American Heart Association/American Stroke Association
- World Stroke Organizationexternal icon
Page last reviewed: March 17, 2021