Stroke Patient Education Handouts
Print and share these resources with your patients to help them make healthy lifestyle changes and control health conditions that raise their risk for stroke.
Know the facts about stroke
Share this easy-to-read, colorful PDF to help patients learn what stroke is, how common it is, and what stroke’s signs and symptoms are. Know the Facts About Stroke pdf icon[PDF – 162 KB] also describes the risks, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of stroke.
Fact sheets: stroke in men and women and during pregnancy
Some medical conditions and lifestyle choices can put anyone—regardless of gender, ethnicity, or age—at risk for stroke. However, people in certain groups are more likely to have a stroke. Learn more about how certain factors can affect your risk for stroke:
Fact sheets and information about conditions and behaviors related to stroke
- Chronic Kidney Disease Basics
- What is Diabetes?
- About Heart Disease
- Heart Failure
- High Blood Pressure Symptoms and Causes
- Overweight & Obesity
- Physical Inactivity
- Improving Your Eating Habits
Resources from other organizations
The following websites include patient-friendly links and resources about stroke:
- American Stroke Association (ASA): About Strokeexternal icon
- ASA Resources in Spanish: Recursos en Españolexternal icon
- National, Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute: Strokeexternal icon
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS): Stroke Information Pageexternal icon
Tools for community health workers (CHWs)
Hispanic populations have low control rates for hypertension, a major risk factor for heart disease and stroke. Also, they have high prevalence of high blood cholesterol, and their diets are often high in salt and saturated fats. Reaching these audiences with effective messages about prevention can be challenging.
Promotoras and other CHWs are encouraged to read this fotonovela with participants:
- English fotonovela: How to Control Your Fat and Cholesterol pdf icon[PDF – 325 KB].
- Spanish fotonovela: Cómo controlar la grasa y el cholesterol pdf icon[PDF – 421 KB].
A Promotora/CHW Guide accompanies the How to Control Your Fat and Cholesterol fotonovela and gives these members of the health care team a brief summary of objectives, tips, additional activities, reviews, and reminders:
- English promotora guide: How to Control Your Fat and Cholesterol: A Promotora Guide. pdf icon[PDF – 2 MB]
- Spanish promotora guide: Cómo controlar la grasa y el colesterol: Guía de la promotora pdf icon[PDF – 1.77 MB].
This is an easy-to-understand fact sheet about heart health (aspirin use when appropriate, blood pressure control, cholesterol management, and smoking cessation):
- English version: ABCS of Heart Health pdf icon[PDF – 333 KB]external icon.
- Spanish version: 4 Pasos Adelante pdf icon[PDF – 378 KB]external icon.