Have You Heard? Facts From The Field is a weekly feature from the Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support to provide CDC and the field with facts and news from state, tribal, local and territorial public health agencies. We invite you to read and share this information broadly.
View the Current Have You Heard?
December 19, 2013
Social media use is helping state and local health departments extend their reach:
- In a study of US state health departments, 60% reported using at least one social media application—87% had an account belonging to Twitter, 56% Facebook, and 43% YouTube.
- In a study involving all US local health departments, 24% had a Facebook account, 8% had a Twitter account, and 7% had both.
- The Shelby County (Tennessee) Health Department is using social media to lower infant mortality rates in Memphis—its free B4BabyLife app [PDF-96KB] provides families with information and resources before, during, and after pregnancy.
- Page last reviewed: November 9, 2015
- Page last updated: November 9, 2015
- Content source: