Did You Know? is a weekly feature from the Center for State, Tribal, Local, and Territorial Support to inform your prevention activities. We invite you to read, share, and take action!
View the Current Did You Know?
November 16, 2018
- About 8.3 million children are in early care and education centers in the US, and nearly 1 million [PDF-1.3MB] of them are in centers that haven’t been adequately assessed for harmful chemicals.
- Even if a center meets current state licensing regulations, it might be located [PDF-1.1MB] in places where children and staff can come in contact with dangerous chemicals from the environment.
- State and local agencies can use ATSDR planning tools and resources from the Choose Safe Places for Early Care and Education program to help reduce the risk of chemical exposure in early childhood learning centers.
November 9, 2018
- 1 in 5 US adults provide regular care or assistance to a family member or friend with a health problem or disability.
- Many caregivers report high psychological stress and spend an average of nearly $7,000 in out-of-pocket costs related to caregiving each year.
- Public health professionals can learn more about the challenges of and recommendations for caregiving, including the unique circumstances of caregivers in rural areas.
November 2, 2018
- More than half of all known infectious diseases people can get are zoonotic, or spread between animals and people, such as rabies, Salmonella, and West Nile virus.
- CDC recognizes that human health, animal health, and our environment are connected and uses the One Health approach to collaborate across disciplines and sectors to improve the health of both people and animals.
- Human, animal, and environmental health and other relevant professionals can use the One Health approach to better prevent, detect, and respond to zoonotic diseases in their communities.
Did You Know? information and web links are current as of their publication date. They may become outdated over time.
- Page last reviewed: November 16, 2018
- Page last updated: November 16, 2018
- Content source: