Did You Know? is a weekly feature from the Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support to inform your prevention activities. We invite you to read, share, and take action!
View the Current Did You Know?
July 27, 2012
- Today the HIV epidemic is far less visible, even though 1.1 million Americans live with HIV and approximately 50,000 more become infected each year.
- Fear, discrimination, and complacency continue to hamper progress against HIV, even though most Americans understand how the disease is transmitted.
- By promoting the Let’s Stop HIV Together campaign, you can help the public get the facts, get tested, and get involved [PDF - 1.1MB].
July 20, 2012
- 41 states have confirmed cases of Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE), a dangerous drug-resistant “superbug” that can have up to a 40% death rate.
- To determine CRE prevalence in acute care facilities, Wisconsin made CRE a reportable disease [PDF-663KB]; after six months, 11 CRE events were uncovered from seven hospitalized patients.
- Minnesota expanded and tailored existing CRE recommendations and strengthened its relationship [PDF-629KB] with laboratories and infection preventionists in healthcare facilities across the state.
July 13, 2012
- About 1 in 26 people in the United States will develop epilepsy at some time during their life.
- Adults with recent seizures report 18 overall unhealthy days per month compared with 6 days for adults without seizures.
- Epilepsy Across the Spectrum, a 2012 Institute of Medicine report, provides evidence and incentive for actions that will improve the lives of people with epilepsy and their families.
July 6, 2012
- Nearly 1 in 3 prescription painkiller overdose deaths in 2009 involved methadone even though the drug accounted for only 2% of painkiller prescriptions.
- The number of deaths in 2009 involving methadone was 6 times higher than a decade before.
- States can use prescription drug monitoring programs to identify patients who are using methadone or other prescription painkillers for nonmedical purposes.
Did You Know? information and web links are current as of their publication date. They may become outdated over time.
- Page last reviewed: November 9, 2015
- Page last updated: October 14, 2016
- Content source: