Syphilis Treatment and Care
Syphilis is curable with the right antibiotics.
What is the treatment for syphilis?
A single injection of long-acting Benzathine penicillin G can cure the early stages of syphilis. This includes primary, secondary, or early latent syphilis. CDC recommends three doses of long-acting Benzathine penicillin G at weekly intervals for late latent syphilis or latent syphilis of unknown duration. Treatment will cure the infection and prevent further damage, but it will not repair damage already done.
Selecting the right penicillin preparation is important to properly treat and cure syphilis. See the STI Treatment Guidelines for more information on syphilis treatment. The guidelines also include other options for those with a penicillin allergy.
People treated for syphilis should avoid sexual contact with new partners until their sores completely heal. They also should notify their sex partner(s), so they can receive testing and treatment if needed.
Treatment Guidelines and Updates
- 2021 STI Treatment Guidelines – Syphilis (July 22, 2021)
Resources for Clinicians
- The Diagnosis, Management and Prevention of Syphilis: An Update and Review – Clinical guidance for diagnosing and managing syphilis. This document reflects content from the 2015 CDC STD Treatment Guidelines. This is a product of the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Bureau of Sexually Transmitted Infections and the NYC STD Prevention Training Center. (March 2019)
- Syphilis Pocket Guide for Providers– A booklet with details on syphilis diagnosis, treatment, and prevention. (November 30, 2017)
- Syphilis Self-Study Module– An online learning experience that helps users learn how to manage syphilis. Free CME/CNE available. (November 1, 2017)
- Injectable Syphilis Treatment Delivery: Considerations for STD Programs – A resource outlining best practices for designing and implementing an injectable syphilis delivery treatment program in a state or local health department. This toolkit was developed by the National Coalition for STD Directors in collaboration with CDC. (August 2023)
- Congenital Syphilis Diagnosed Beyond the Neonatal Period in the United States: 2014-2018 – Testing and treatment during pregnancy can prevent spreading infection to the baby. This article explores missed prevention opportunities. (August 31, 2021)
- STDs during Pregnancy – Treatment