Join CDC in Tackling the Dangerous Return of Syphilis
Play the audio above for a 1940s-style PSA. It's also downloadable!
Once nearing elimination, national data find that syphilis is thriving. Rates are on the rise among men, women, newborns, a majority of age groups, all regions, and almost every race/ethnicity. Syphilis’s resurgence highlights its ability to affect many communities at anytime and anywhere. We cannot accept this as the new normal, and together, we can and must reverse these increases.
To underscore the importance of this issue, we are dedicating the entire month of April to syphilis prevention.
CDC’s STD Awareness Month web pages are filled with resources and guidance for both healthcare providers, as well as individuals who may be impacted by the disease. You can also join the conversation on Twitter and Facebook with #STDMONTH17 .
There is much work to be done. Let’s get to it.
STD Awareness Month 2017 Theme: Syphilis Strikes Back
Each week in April, we will focus on a different aspect of what’s happening with syphilis. Here’s the rundown:
- (April 1-8) | Syphilis in the U.S. – An overview of what it is, how it’s affecting specific communities, and why this potentially dangerous health issue needs attention
- (April 9-15) | Syphilis among gay, bisexual and other MSM – Focus on the group hardest-hit by syphilis and what individuals and healthcare providers can do to help
- (April 16-22) | Syphilis among women, pregnant women, and newborns – Focus on the increases among women and its impact on pregnant women and newborns, as well as what individuals and healthcare providers can do to help
- (April 23-30) | Disrupt Syphilis! – The final week will focus on what actions are needed to tackle syphilis moving forward
Test Your Knowledge with Two Syphilis Case Studies
April 27, 2017 - SERMO blog post for STD Awareness Month.
Rising Syphilis Cases Among Gay and Bisexual Men
April 27, 2017 - AIDS.gov blogs about STD Awareness Month.
Understanding the Complexities of Syphilis
April 20, 2017 - SERMO blog post for STD Awareness Month.
Congenital Syphilis Surges in the U.S.
April 12, 2017 - SERMO blog post for STD Awareness Month.
State-Specific Rates of Primary and Secondary Syphilis Among Men Who Have Sex with Men
April 6, 2017 - MMWR Article
Syphilis Strikes Back: An Overview of Syphilis in the United States
April 6, 2017 - SERMO blog post for STD Awareness Month.
STD Awareness Month featured in MMWR
April 2017 - MMWR Announcement for STD Awareness Month.
STD Awareness Month Feature on CDC.gov
April 1, 2017 - Check out the STD Awareness Month feature article on CDC.gov.
- Page last reviewed: April 6, 2017
- Page last updated: April 6, 2017
- Content source: