HIV/AIDS & STDs Treatment
Getting treated for an STD other than HIV does not prevent the spread of HIV.
Will treating STDs prevent me from getting HIV?
No, STD treatments will not prevent HIV infection. If you get treated for an STD, this will help to prevent its complications, and prevent spreading STDs to your sex partners. Treatment for an STD other than HIV does not prevent the spread of HIV.
If you are diagnosed with an STD, talk to your doctor about ways to protect yourself and your partner(s) from getting reinfected with the same STD, or getting HIV.
Treatment Guidelines and Updates
2015 STD Treatment Guidelines (June 4, 2015)
Clinical Prevention Guidance
- STD/HIV Risk Assessment
- STD/HIV Prevention Counseling
- Antiretroviral Treatment of Persons with HIV Infection to Prevent HIV Infection in Partners
- HSV Treatment of Persons with HIV and HSV Infections to Prevent HIV Infection in Uninfected Partners
- Preexposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) for HIV
- HIV Seroadaptation Strategies
- Special Populations
- Emerging Issues – Hepatitis C – HIV Infection
- HIV Infection: Detection, Counseling, and Referral
- Lymphogranuloma Venereum (LGV)
- Vulvovaginal Candidiasis
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
- Anogenital Warts
- HPV-Associated Cancers and Precancers – Cervical Cancer
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Proctitis, Proctocolitis, and Enteritis
- Ectoparasitic Infections – Scabies
- Sexual Assault and Abuse and STDs
- Sexual Assault or Abuse of Children
- Clinical Prevention Guidance
Resources for Clinicians
- Comprehensive Sexual Health Care for Sexually and Gender Minority Patients in the HAART and PrEP Era – by Kenneth Mayer, MD, an STD Prevention Science Series webinar, December 3, 2015, Recording available
- The Road From Observation to Intervention to Implementation: Perspectives of a Pragmatic HIV Prevention Researcher – STD Prevention Science Series 2012 presentation by Connie Celum, MD, MPH – View Recording (December 17, 2012)
- STI Screening as HIV Prevention – This video features commentary for the 19th International AIDS Conference from Dr. Gail Bolan, M.D., Division Director for CDC’s Division of STD Prevention (DSTDP). (July 20, 2012)