Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea Laboratory Information
- Etest®: Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing for Neisseria gonorrhoeaeExternal– online training provides an overview of proper set up and interpretation of the Etest® method of antimicrobial susceptibility testing for Neisseria gonorrhoeae.
- Culture Handling ProcedureCdc-pdf
- Instructions for Submitting Specimens to CDC Gonorrhea Laboratory for Confirmation Testing and/or Testing of Clinical Treatment FailuresCdc-pdf
- B88 document – Neisseria gonorrhoeae reference strains for antimicrobial susceptibility testingCdc-pdfThe following corrections to this document should be noted (see pg. 6, Recommended Testing and Confirmatory Testing(https://www.cdc.gov/std/gonorrhea/arg/b88-feb-2005.pdf#page=6)Cdc-pdfIn the United States, reports of apparent failures of infections to respond to treatment with CDC recommended therapies should be reported to Sancta St Cyr, MD (email@example.com; 404-718-5447). Surveillance and Data Management Branch, Division of STD Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd. NE, Mailstop E02, Atlanta, GA 30333.
- In the United States, it is also recommended that isolates from certain infections be submitted to the Neisseria Reference Laboratory at CDC for confirmation; these infections comprise those that fail to respond to CDC-recommended therapy and isolates determined to exhibit intermediate resistance or resistance (see pg. 6, Recommended Testing and Confirmatory Testing,(https://www.cdc.gov/std/gonorrhea/arg/b88-feb-2005.pdf#page=6)Cdc-pdf for a complete list): E. Kersh, PhD; (firstname.lastname@example.org, 404 639 2728,) STD Lab Branch (LRRB) Chief, Division of STD Prevention (DSTDP), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 1600 Clifton Rd, Mailstop A12, Atlanta, Georgia 30333 or Cau Pham, email@example.com, 404 718 5642), Neisseria Reference Laboratory, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd. NE, Mailstop A12, Atlanta, GA 30333.
- Agar Dilution
- Disk Diffusion
- Interpretive Criteria
- Gonorrhea Laboratory Information – Definitions, testing, identification, characteristics, strain typing and resources.
Page last reviewed: May 2, 2018