Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea Laboratory Information
Through CDC’s AR Lab Network, the Maryland Public Health Laboratory offers nationwide gradient strip method antimicrobial susceptibility testing (AST)—at no cost—to assist in care of patients with potentially drug-resistant gonorrhea infections. Learn more on this fact sheet.pdf icon
- Etest®: Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing for Neisseria gonorrhoeaeexternal icon– online training provides an overview of proper set up and interpretation of the Etest® method of antimicrobial susceptibility testing for Neisseria gonorrhoeae.
- Culture Handling Procedurepdf icon
- Disk Diffusion
- B88 document – Neisseria gonorrhoeae reference strains for antimicrobial susceptibility testingpdf iconThe following corrections to this document should be noted (see pg. 6, Recommended Testing and Confirmatory Testing(https://www.cdc.gov/std/gonorrhea/arg/b88-feb-2005.pdf#page=6)pdf iconIn the United States, reports of apparent failures of infections to respond to treatment with CDC recommended therapies should be reported to Sancta St Cyr, MD (firstname.lastname@example.org; 404-718-5447). Surveillance and Data Management Branch, Division of STD Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd. NE, Mailstop E02, Atlanta, GA 30333.
- In the United States, it is also recommended that isolates from certain infections be submitted to the Neisseria Reference Laboratory at CDC for confirmation; these infections comprise those that fail to respond to CDC-recommended therapy and isolates determined to exhibit intermediate resistance or resistance (see pg. 6, Recommended Testing and Confirmatory Testing,(https://www.cdc.gov/std/gonorrhea/arg/b88-feb-2005.pdf#page=6)pdf icon for a complete list): Cau Pham, email@example.com, 404 718 5642), Neisseria Reference Laboratory, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd. NE, Mailstop A12, Atlanta, GA 30333.
- Agar Dilution
- Disk Diffusion
- Interpretive Criteria
- Gonorrhea Laboratory Information – Definitions, testing, identification, characteristics, strain typing and resources.