Public Health Guidance for Community-Level Preparedness and Response to Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
This is an updated version of the draft guidance document issued by CDC in November 2003. CDC revised the draft based on comments received from public health partners, healthcare providers, and others. CDC will continue to update the document as necessary to incorporate additional comments and to reflect increased understanding of SARS-CoV transmission dynamics and the availability of improved prevention tools.
*PLEASE NOTE: Because of their size, some of the files below may take considerable time to download and/or display on slower connections. To facilitate downloading, Right Click on the file name and select “Save Target As…” to download the file onto your computer. You may then open the file from the saved location and view it locally.
Sections of the Guidance Document
Also available are additional slide sets to accompany the SARS Public Health Guidance Document
- Clinical Guidance for Communities
- Guidance on the Use of Respirators to Prevent Transmission
- Clinical Guidance on the Identification and Evaluation of Possible SARS-CoV Disease among Persons Presenting with Community-Acquired Illness (version 2)
- App F5: Laboratory Biosafety Guidelines for Handling and Processing Specimens
- Guidance for Airline Flight Crews, Cargo and Cleaning Personnel, and other Personnel
- Guidance for Persons Who May Have Been Exposed
- Guidance on Air Medical Transport for SARS Patients
- Guidance for Persons Traveling to Areas Where SARS Cases Have Been Reported
- Guidance for Americans Living Abroad
- App F3: Guidelines for Clinicians - Consent Process for SARS-CoV RT-PCR - EIA Testing
- Domestic Infection Control Guidance in the Health-Care and Community Setting for Patients
- Slide Sets to Accompany SARS Public Health Guidance Document