Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) DP16-1607: Sodium Reduction in Communities Program
About 90% of Americans consume too much sodium, increasing their risk of high blood pressure. Americans consume about 3,400 mg of sodium each day, and the majority of sodium consumed is already present in foods before purchase or preparation. Because of this, reducing sodium intake requires increased availability of lower sodium foods.
Through the FOA, DP16-1607: Sodium Reduction in Communities Program, CDC anticipates awarding approximately $15 million over a five year period to implement and evaluate promising, broad-reaching, and sustainable strategies, while engaging food sector collaborators to facilitate reductions in sodium levels in commercially processed and restaurant foods. The long-term goal of the FOA is to reduce sodium intake to within the current Dietary Guidelines for AmericansExternal recommendations. Additional outcomes include:
- Increased implementation of food service guidelines or standards that include sodium;
- Increased integration of procurement practices to reduce sodium content in purchased items;
- Increased implementation of food preparation practices to reduce sodium content in meals and/or menu items;
- Increased implementation of environmental strategies/behavioral economics approaches;
- Increased availability of lower sodium food products; and
- Increased purchase or selection of lower sodium food products and/or ingredients by either consumers or large food service operators.
Applications are due March 15, 2016, and the five-year cooperative agreement’s anticipated start date is September 30, 2016. Eligibility will not be limited, but applicants should have demonstrated capacity to develop and implement public health strategies to improve nutrition, and capacity to reach at least 500,000 people. More information about the FOA and application requirements is available at www.grants.govExternal.
***Please note that CDC will host an Informational Teleconference to answer questions about the FOA at 3:30 PM (ET) on January 28th, 2016. Please join by calling Toll Number: 1-210-234-0044; or Toll Free Number: 888-810-4938; Participant passcode: 8344668.
For more information or to submit your questions, please contact email@example.com.