Federal Statistical RDC
The Federal Statistical Research Data Center (FSRDC) are managed by the United States Census Bureau. The Census Bureau and the National Center for Health Statistics NCHS have agreed to make most NCHS restricted-use data available to researchers through the FSRDC network.
The Census Bureau manages several RDC sites throughout the United States:
Over the course of your project, you will interact with your assigned NCHS RDC Analyst and the FSRDC Administrator. The NCHS RDC Analyst and FSRDC Administrators have their own roles and responsibilities.
- Facilitates review of your proposal
- Creates your analytic dataset
- Accepts NCHS payment
- Receives your NCHS Confidentiality training completion certificates
- Transfers your dataset to Census
- Conducts a disclosure review of your output
- Answers general questions about the process and your specific project
- Answers logistical questions about the FSRDC such as, Special Sworn Status (SSS), access/entry into the FSRDC, statistical software availability and Census Fees
- Ensures you have completed all the Census Bureau Security requirements related to SSS
- Accepts Census payments
- Transfers your output to NCHS for a disclosure review
You must contact the FSRDC Administrator to confirm your eligibility to access your designated FSRDC, including Special Sworn Status (SSS) requirements and university or agency affiliation. Please ensure that you have discussed access requirements with your FSRDC Administrator before submitting your proposal to NCHS. NCHS and FSRDC are not responsible for project delays or lost fees due to inability to access a FSRDC.
FSRDC Administrators will not assist you with the development of your proposals nor will they accept proposal submissions. NCHS proposals must be submitted directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to the NCHS requirements outlined by your RDC Analyst, the following steps should occur after you receive your proposal approval email from your RDC Analyst:
- Complete Census Bureau access requirements including obtaining Special Sworn Status (SSS). The current fee for an SSS Application is $1800; this fee is non-refundable and is payable to the NCHS RDC. All questions regarding the status of your SSS Application should be sent to the FSRDC Administrator.
- Inform your RDC Analyst once your SSS is approved and when Census has created your account. It is important to keep your RDC Analyst aware of where you are in the process.
- When all NCHS and FSRDC requirements are completed, the RDC Analyst will transfer your dataset to Census.
- Contact your FSRDC Administrator to schedule your time in the lab.
- Email your statistical programming code and reference documentation (codebooks or statistical reference materials) to your RDC Analyst at least five (5) days before your visit. These materials will be reviewed by your RDC Analysts before they can be placed into your Census account. You cannot bring hardcopies or books into the FSRDC. Do not ask your FSRDC administrator to review handouts, notes, or output.
While working at a FSRDC, you are subject to Census rules and NCHS rules and restrictions: