Human Rabies Immune Globulin and Vaccine Update
Posted: December 12, 2012
Human Rabies Immune Globulin
- Human rabies immune globulin produced by Sanofi Pasteur (Imogam) is again available to order for postexposure prophylaxis (PEP).
- Human rabies immune globulin produced by Grifols/Talecris Biotherapeutics (HyperRAB) will continue to be available for order as well
- No change in rabies vaccine availability has been reported
- Rabies vaccine produced by Novartis (RabAvert) is available for pre-exposure and PEP from wholesale distributors
- Rabies vaccine produced by Sanofi Pasteur (IMOVAX), is currently available for PEP only by direct supply to health care providers who are treating patients who have documented rabies exposures.
Recommendations Unaffected By Supply Constraint
- Human rabies immune globulin supplies have returned to normal levels and are expected to meet demand for persons requiring rabies postexposure prophylaxis (PEP).
- The current situation for rabies vaccine has not changed since the previous update on September 11, 2012.
- Providers should consult with local/state public health departments to ensure appropriate use of PEP (State and local rabies consultation contacts).
- Persons at increased risk for rabies exposure should take appropriate precautions to avoid exposure, including avoiding unknown domestic animals and wildlife. In addition, pets and livestock should be vaccinated. When possible, after an exposure, efforts should be made to capture the animal involved in the exposure and held for observation (if a cat, dog, or ferret) or tested for rabies
- Additional updates will be posted to the CDC rabies website as available.
Previous updates on Rabies Vaccine and Immune Globulin Supply
Page last reviewed: December 12, 2012