New York Quarantine Station
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) operates a quarantine station in New York City (NYC). The station’s jurisdiction includes all ports in New York, Connecticut, and Vermont, as well as the U.S.-Canadian land border crossings in New York and Vermont. The New York Quarantine Station also operates the preclearance ports of Montreal and Bermuda, as well as Shannon and Dublin, Ireland. CDC New York Quarantine Station staff are temporarily covering the Boston Quarantine Station jurisdiction which includes all airports and seaports in Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine, and Massachusetts as well as the U.S.-Canada land border crossings in Maine.
Quarantine Station Activities
- Respond to reports of illness on airplanes, maritime vessels (cruise and cargo), and at land border crossings.
- Review medical records of migrants who will reside permanently in the United States. Notify state and local health departments and refer any migrants with infectious tuberculosis and other communicable diseases.
- Partner with other federal agencies and local and state health departments in preparedness activities related to quarantine and isolation at ports of entry.
- Collaborate on binational border projects.
- Coordinate binational case detection, notification, and investigation with state and local health departments and border protection agencies.
- Conduct public health research.
- Monitor importations that may have pathogens infectious to humans.
Annual Ports of Entry Statistics
Number of international passengers
- John F. Kennedy International Airport: 14 million
- La Guardia International Airport: 882,000
- 753,000 international cruise and cargo ship passengers and crew
Major Land Border Crossings
Number of travelers
- Buffalo-Niagara Falls: 12.5 million
- Champion-Rouses Point: 3 million
- Massena: 1.7 million
(617) 561-5701 24-hour access
On call: 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
Office Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. ET
CDC New York Quarantine Station
JFK International Airport
Terminal 4, Room 219.016
2nd Floor, East Concourse
Jamaica, NY 11430-1081