Did You Know? is a weekly feature from the Center for State, Tribal, Local, and Territorial Support to inform your prevention activities. We invite you to read, share, and take action!
View the Current Did You Know?
- Smoking can cause colorectal cancer and vision loss (macular degeneration), two critical health problems addressed in this year’s Tips From Former Smokers campaign.
- The Tips campaign is a “best buy” for public health, costing only $393 per year of life saved—see how it works in this infographic Cdc-pdf[PDF-1.6MB].
- You can promote smoking cessation by using and sharing Tips campaign resources, including videos, social media messages, print ads, buttons, and more.
- Blood clots—also known as venous thromboembolism—can be caused by not moving around for long periods of time, but they can be prevented and treated.
- US healthcare costs for blood clots can reach up to $10 billion per yearExternal.
- Doctors and nurses can help their patients prevent blood clots Cdc-pdf[PDF–175KB] by teaching them about risk factors, symptoms, and what to do during long-distance travel.
- About 41% of Americans depend on ground water Cdc-pdf[PDF-5MB]External from a public source or private well, but nearly 94% of all drinking water outbreak-associated illnesses occur in water systems that use a ground water source.
- Bacteria, viruses, parasites, and chemicals in ground waterExternal can cause a range of short- and long-term health problems, including acute gastrointestinal illness, reproductive problems, and neurological disorders.
- If your water comes from a private well, let your healthcare provider know, especially if you have an infant at homeExternal.
- Motor vehicle crashes caused 65% of on-the-job deaths of truck drivers in 2012; more than a third of the drivers were not buckled up Cdc-pdf[PDF-3.2MB], according to the latest CDC Vital Signs.
- One in 3 truck drivers will have a serious crash during their career, and 1 in 8 will have 2 or more.
- Employers can prevent crashes through strong safety programs, including requirements to buckle up.
Did You Know? information and web links are current as of their publication date. They may become outdated over time.