Did You Know? is a weekly feature from the Center for State, Tribal, Local, and Territorial Support to inform your prevention activities. We invite you to read, share, and take action!
View the Current Did You Know?
- People with health insurance get more preventive careExternal and report better physical and mental health.
- Beginning October 1, Americans will have a new way to find affordable health coverage—including many free preventive servicesExternal—on the new Health Insurance Marketplace.
- Americans can visit the new HealthCare.gov website or call 1-800-318-2596 now to ask questions and prepare to enroll.
- CDC Stacks is a free, digital library of CDC scientific research and literature, compiling more than 10,000 publications on a range of public health topics.
- Users can narrow their search by browsing one of the collections, such as MMWR: the First 30 Years, Open Access Articles, and others.
- The Guidelines and Recommendations collection is a one-stop shop for the latest clinical and public health guidelines.
- More than two thirds of Medicare beneficiaries have multiple chronic conditionsExternal, such as heart disease, arthritis, and diabetes, that require ongoing medical attention or limit their daily activities.
- In 2011, 93 percent of Medicare spendingExternal, or $276 billion, was allocated for caring for beneficiaries with two or more chronic conditions.
- Researchers and health professionals can use the new Chronic Conditions DashboardExternal to find data on the prevalence and costs of chronic conditions among Medicare beneficiaries.
- Listeria is the third leading cause of death from food poisoning, and almost all cases are among pregnant women and their newborns, people with weakened immune systems, and adults aged 65 years or older.
- Most people with Listeria infection require hospital care, and about 1 in 5 with the infection die.
- Local, state, and territorial public health professionals are encouraged to complete the Listeria Initiative Cdc-pdf[PDF-618KB] questionnaire for all cases of laboratory-confirmed listeriosis.
Did You Know? information and web links are current as of their publication date. They may become outdated over time.