Physicians seeking board certification in preventive medicine should apply for the Preventive Medicine Residency while veterinarians, nurses, or other health professionals with a MPH should apply for the fellowship.
PMR/F participants are selected from among highly qualified applicants drawn to public health and interested in developing their leadership and management skills in an experiential learning environment as evidenced by:
It is desirable that PMR/F applicants have applied epidemiology experience similar to that of a tier-2 mid-level epidemiologist according to CDC’s competencies for applied epidemiologists in governmental public health agenciesexternal icon. If you are not an EIS alum, in the application you’ll describe your experience for several applied epidemiology skills (500 word limit for each area).
- A demonstrated interest in public health work through the course selection in their academic transcripts, research or dissertation (if applicable), and prior experiences with governmental or nongovernmental public health agencies.
- Varied experiences in applied epidemiology in different topical areas and geographic placements in the U.S.
- A record of high academic achievement, teamwork, innovation, and leadership
Applicants to either the Residency or Fellowship must meet the following criteria:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be willing to commit to a 12- or 24-month full-time training program
- Attend orientation in Atlanta, Georgia, in July
- Relocate for their assignments. Individuals with prior experience at a state or local health department will be assigned to a CDC location. Individuals with prior experience at the federal level will be assigned to a state or local health department.
|July 1||Application opens|
|July 31||Application period closes at 11:59 p.m. (EDT).
All applications and supporting materials must be received by the deadline.
Late applications will not be considered.
|Early August||PMR/F program staff review applications.|
|Middle of August||Selected applicants invited to interview.|
|Late August through Early September||Interviews conducted at CDC in Atlanta, Georgia, or by video conference. Candidates who wish to interview in person are responsible for their travel expenses.|
|Late September||Candidates notified of acceptance|
|July 1||Month-long Orientation in Atlanta, GA|
email icon Contact the PMR/F program if you have any questions about the PMR/F application process.