Prepare Application Information
In addition to the online application, the following supporting documents are required:
- Letters of recommendation
- Clinical license
- Certificates of residency and fellowship training
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required from persons familiar with the candidate’s academic achievements, aspirations, personal qualities, and professional attributes. One letter must be from your immediate supervisor. For physicians applying to the residency, one letter must be from your most recent residency program director. Letters must be dated within 6 months of submission, signed, and on official letterhead.
- Applicants in CDC-sponsored field assignments must submit recommendations from field supervisors.
- Let the persons writing the Letters of Recommendation know they will receive a system-generated email from the Preventive Medicine Residency & Fellowship with instructions about how to submit the two documents electronically.
- Once the reference(s) have received the system generated email, they will be able to upload PDF copies of the recommendation letter
- The reference must:
- Sign and scan the letter of recommendation
- Save the letter as a PDF file (only PDF documents will be accepted)
- Click on the link provided in the system generated email to upload the recommendation letter
- The reference must:
Copies of transcripts are required for all earned degrees. The following information is related to transcripts:
- When a transcript is not issued by a U.S. institution:
- Other proof of degree completion (e.g., certified copy of a diploma) must be submitted
- Diploma or other proof of degree completion must be translated into English using one of the following CDC-approved translation services:
- Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute Incorporated (ACEI)external icon
- Educational Credential Evaluators, Incorporatedexternal icon
- International Education Research Foundation, Incorporatedexternal icon
- Josef Silny & Associates, Incorporatedexternal icon
- Morningside Evaluations & Consultingexternal icon
- Do not send a high school transcript
To Submit Unofficial Transcripts
The applicant applying to PMR/F must:
- Request an unofficial copy of all college/university transcripts
- Within the online application, complete all necessary fields for college/university education, click Update
- On the main Education page, click the Upload link next to the specific college/university
- Click Browse button and select appropriate college/university transcript PDF
- Click Upload to attach unofficial transcript PDF for appropriate college/university
- Confirm unofficial transcript PDF successfully attached
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) All applicants who were born outside the United States must demonstrate proficiency in written and spoken English by providing one of the following:
- TOEFL scores equal to 100 or higher on the Internet-based TOEFL, 250 on computer-based TOEFL, or 600 on the paper-based TOEFL
- TOEFL exemption letter for those whose native language is English. Refer to PMR/F TOEFL Requirements pdf icon[PDF – 2 pages] to determine if you qualify for an exemption
U.S. citizens and permanent residents with a clinical degree (e.g., MD, DVM, RN, DMD, or equivalent) must upload a copy of their active, unrestricted license to practice a clinical specialty in the U.S. or Canada.
- Click Active U.S. License in the College Education & Licenses Listing section
- For each license that has been received, please enter the Issuing State, Expiration Date and License Number
- Click License Upload to attach the PDF for the appropriate license
- Confirm clinical license was successfully uploaded
Certificates of Residency and Fellowship Training
Physicians must upload a PDF of all certificates of residency and fellowship training.
- Select Clinical Training in the Additional Training & Skills listing section
- Select the appropriate title
- Click Select a file to attach the PDF for the appropriate certificate
- Confirm certificate was successfully uploaded
EIS Activity Report or Experience Statement
Graduates of the EIS program must upload their EIS activity report. It is desirable that PMR/F applicants have applied epidemiology experience similar to that of a tier-2 mid-level epidemiologist according to CDC’s competencies for applied epidemiologists in governmental public health agenciesexternal icon (500 word limit for each experience area).
email icon Contact the PMR/F program if you have any questions about the PMR/F application process.